Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if I don't like tea or beer?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by graphicbreeze, Mar 21, 2011.

1. graphicbreeze

graphicbreeze Member

A bit of a concern I am having.

I am noticing the majority of English people always talking about going for a pint during lunch, after work, sometimes even before work which totally baffles me. My cousin married a Brit and during the wedding i was shocked and in awe of the alcohol tolerance all of the grooms British friends had. I would of had to have my stomach pumped if I was to drink even half the amount one of them had. That and the fact I really don't like the taste of beer at all.

Also I am reading in sites and other forums how many GD's requirements for jr designers and interns is that they can make the perfect tea matching the same color as a stated pantone. I at least don't hate tea but I never drink the stuff because it has this magical power of making me have to get up and urinate every 10 minutes for the next 3-4 hours after drinking a cup. Plus I stay away from ingesting anything with caffeine as the idea of being addicted to coffee or tea and getting splitting headaches and the shakes until I have a cup isn't to appealing.

So I am very curious if this should be a concern, the fact I don't like either of the 2 staple liquids in the UK.

2. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

Don't worry about it, I don't like tea and I don't drink alcohol but I never have a problem.

Always annoys me though having the young one making all the tea, especially when you don't even drink tea yourself. If I don't want a cup of tea then I don't want to have to go and make everyone else's.

3. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Obviously you don't have to consume alcohol or caffeine but you will have to come up with alternative methods of a) getting into a fight in a taxi queue, and b) getting up in the morning.

4. garlex

garlex Member

Think yourself lucky, we have to drink this amount to maintain the stereotype!

5. djb

djb Member

Don’t worry, there’s always coffee and vodka...

6. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

Firstly, I dont think its likely you will get addicted to tea of coffee! I drink between 5 - 10 cups of coffee a day and apart from p**sing like a race horse, I'm fine.

Secondly, are you confusing beer and lager as theyre 2 very different things in the UK? Lager is what you would call beer. its generally light it flavour and colour, highly carbonated and served chilled (think of Coors/Miller/Bud). However, the word beer is usually used when refering to what is known as a bitter (or ale). These are often dark in colour with a much lower carbonation level, have a thicker body and stronger tatse. You should find a beer festival in the summer, theres an ale for all paletes

7. heroes_46

heroes_46 New Member

Re:

I like drinking tea but not beer :)

8. sweetums

sweetums Member

I don't think it should be a problem. I'm British, I'm a web designer, I'm under 26 and I don't drink beer. In fact I hardly touch any alcohol at all, with the exception of the odd pint of cider (I am from the west country after all :p), and I haven't had any problems working in a studio with other people who drink.

9. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

There's always coffee and wine :icon_wink:

10. You'll learn to drink in the UK for sure

11. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

This is it.
    Man up and get drinking :icon_cheers:

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't worry about it.
    I drink 10-20 cups of tea a day, and yeah, somedays I feel like I REALLY need a cup to function, tea isn't all that bad.

About the beer, there's always other options. Wine etc. Or, just drink coke/pop or whatever? Not everyone likes or wants to drink alcohol, I don't think people get judged for it.

12. printbar

printbar Active Member

Ummm.... You should probably stop getting all your information on the drinking habits of the English from 1980s journalists and soaps about alcoholics.... I've never, ever heard of anyone chugging a pint before work. Ever. Mainly because the idea is completely ridiculous, I reckon.

There is a pub culture, but nobody's going to lynch you if you don't want a pint. As for lunchtime drinking, yes, very occasionally someone will have a glass with lunch, but most bosses would prefer that their staff were upright and functional in the afternoon as well.

Oh come on! You're having us on, surely to goodness! Juniors being asked to make the tea more often than seniors, yes. Juniors being asked to pantone match the tea, maybe in a sitcom....

You want to try cigarettes. Or smack.

Would it be a problem for me if I came to Canada and didn't want to pursue a career as a Mountie? How about if I didn't like ice hockey or couldn't pronounce the word 'about' with two 'o's?

Sorry - I don't want to seem harsh, but you're really worrying about silly and outdated stereotypes here! The guys at the wedding knocking back the booze were most likely doing so because they were at a festive occasion, having a little holiday, and letting off steam - I'd be surprised if that was the day to day for them...

I don't think you'll find too many glaring differences in culture when you arrive, but if you keep expecting everyone you meet to force a beer down you before sending you off in the direction of the kettle with a colour swatch then you might have a few issues!

13. bigdave

Here in blighty, we all have cups like this:

[​IMG]

and if the office junior doesn't get the colour right, then we give him the slipper and he has to eat his fish and chips with his fingers!.. arf arf..

14. graphicbreeze

graphicbreeze Member

Wow calm down. The purpose of this threat and other potential retarded threads like this is to allow me to distinguish what is true and what is just a myth. That way when I arrive I don't make a total ass of myself and more importantly not offend anyone while I am there. But the irony is I seem to of offended you in the process of trying to prepare myself to not offend people.

btw if you come to Canada and state that you don't like hockey you will most likely get looks of surprise like there is something wrong with you, I get it all the time when I tell people I hate hockey. After many months of getting nowhere my roommate still feels it is his duty to make me like hockey.

15. printbar

printbar Active Member

Not offended, and hardly irate. Just a little bit incredulous! Most of the questions you've had have been totally reasonable, but you must admit that objectively the idea that people would demand pantone matched tea as a condition of employment is daft enough to be a myth.... Similarly, I'd say that anyone suggesting that people anywhere had a drink before heading to work should be identifiable as smelling oh so slightly of halibut!

Anyway, I'm sorry if I came on too strong - not intended to be aggro!

Actually, that's one thing that maybe is different and worth noting. It's pretty common (esp in creative industries) for people to get sarcastic and take the piss when someone asks something a little dense, but it's most often done with affection/for comedic effect, rather than out of spitefulness. If that's not something you're used to then you might end up thinking you've annoyed people when actually you haven't. All you need to do is give as good as you get and you'll be fine.

16. printbar

printbar Active Member

Oh, and the mountie/hockey/aboot reference was meant to be funny as well. Just trying to draw a parallel between stupid stereotypes about Canadians and those about the English.

17. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

No-one likes beer - it's like the emperors new clothes.

That's why I started the massively popular (about 12 members) Facebook group CAMRAL. The campaign for real lager (it really is a group!!!).

Basically beer is just a warm drink with a stupid name (e.g. old vicars bottom, dead rabbit etc), served (authenticaly) in a cracked plastic beaker with a dead wasp and some grass in.

I was astonsihed to read (Financial Times) that it is not compulsory to grow an ukempt beard prior to consuming the unhealthy liquid (why don't they advertise this more, no wonder all the rubbish pubs are closing).

Discuss...

18. bigdave

I like beer. sniff sniff.....

19. printbar

printbar Active Member

No you don't, you big fibber.

20. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Good point.

Incidentally: I'm planning a trip to Canada this year but I can't ride a moose, I don't look good in a checked shirt and I feel sick after the first two or three pints of maple syrup. Should I be concerned?