• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What Graphic Design Book?!

philjohns

ITs about time I got round to buying another design book - Im in the need of something to spark my imagination with great design for print.

Nothing too expensive - just something that will get me going on a creative streak, with examples of great design, tips/hints etc.

BASICALLY! what book do you use most for graphic design?!

Greg

Some of the Rockport books on Letterhead & Logo Design or Brochure Design are good, but read up on reviews of them first as some are much better than others, should be a good point of inspiration for print design though. Have you got a budget in mind as decent design books can be very expensive...

philjohns

Weel, I was given a £10 amazon voucher for christmas - i figured ide be putting some towards tho - lets say I'll pay an extra tenner so...

Budget of £20

Kevin

There is an entire series of a publisher called ICONS... but I can't remember the titles, they're at the office so I can't immediately let you know. But these books just showcase some very inspirational websites with a short introduction. There are like 150 designs in each book I think... I'll get back to you :)

berry

Theres a great set of really THICK books just filled page to page with great stuff by Rockport called 1000 Great...
Grahic elements, Type treatments, retail elements etc. We have about 6 of these they are wall to wall inspirations. NO words just pictures!!!!

Attachments

Adam

Berry, thank you for those suggestions! I've just been looking online and they look amazing for a source of inspiration.

I'll be purchasing one today I think, then another at the end of the month! 1000 font treatments first I think!

Regards,
Adam

Adam

Ok Berry i've gone from loving you for giving the name of those books to hating you.... I have 7 of the books in my basket costing way over £100 these Rockport books look priceless, gone from buying 1 now to thinking of getting 3 now and 4 at the end of the month!

Krey20

I've always got a lot out of a book called "A Smile in the Mind".

Mostly examples, with a few articles, but good samples of clever and witty design.

Not sure why it didn't come to mind when I first read this thread, but The Art Of Looking Sideways by the late Alan Fletcher is a very interesting and inspirational book.

Adam

My Rockport 1000 type treatment book should arrive Monday! I only got one in the end, and have decided i'll try to pick up 2 month for the next few months.

I met up with a mate who has his studio and he happened to have a couple in there, I looked through and realised how valuable they will become. It's so much easier to flick through a book to get inspiration than to trawl through websites looking for them

Adam

My 1000 type treatments just arrived in the studio, good times!

It's the more compact version of the bigger books, I actually like it in this size as its easier to flick through, might see if I can collect them all in this smaller size!