What does 'Edgy' mean to you?

So I've had a client request that the title font on the home page of a site that I'm designing should be a little more 'edgy'.

I'm not asking people to help me out with what it means but would rather get your ideas on the word. When a client asks you to make something more edgy, what does it mean to you?

Well I suppose it would fall into these definitions - Urban Dictionary: edgy

Basically it can fall from anything that's new and fresh to something that's pushing the boundaries of acceptability.... I'd be asking the client for examples of what they see as edgy and why they see it as edgy as it's quite a broad word...

Too true, the word is very broad, but then again it's probably used in situations where the client isn't quite sure of what the want they want exactly.

In my experience, clients who ask for "edgy" usually want the "grunge" look. Something a bit distressed, or heavily textured.

To me, edgy would mean something pushing boundaries, something bold and new. Clients I've had don't want this, they want accepted, and safe 'edge' haha

Personally, edgy to me means new or untested with the chance that not everyone will love it straight away - similar to risky.

I would suggest asking them to give you examples of other work that they consider to be 'edgy' so that you know how to go about designing their edgy title. You can also try and find out what problem they are trying to solve so that you can come up with the best solution. Them saying "we want it to look more edgy" basically means they think they have identified a problem and that is their solution.

People often use words incorrectly and when it comes to business you can't afford to guess at what they really mean, better to just avoid any possible confusion and get straight to the heart of the matter.

halfbuiltrobot said:
When people ask me this I feel like punching them in the face...this also applies to "make it pop"

Agreed ;)

Squiddy said:
Personally, edgy to me means new or untested with the chance that not everyone will love it straight away - similar to risky.

I would suggest asking them to give you examples of other work that they consider to be 'edgy' so that you know how to go about designing their edgy title. You can also try and find out what problem they are trying to solve so that you can come up with the best solution. Them saying "we want it to look more edgy" basically means they think they have identified a problem and that is their solution.

People often use words incorrectly and when it comes to business you can't afford to guess at what they really mean, better to just avoid any possible confusion and get straight to the heart of the matter.

I know what you mean, whenever they ask me to do something like that it's always worth getting some confirmation and examples on what they mean just to be sure everything goes smoothly in the right direction.

Back