Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you guys study?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Kevin, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

What did you do after your A/O-levels (messed up school system if you ask me :p) ?

I need to choose what I'm gonna do with the next 4 years of my life (university, higher education ...), so I'm just looking for some opinions, ideas, comments, options, warnings, suggestions, alternatives, possibilities, ... you get the point.

2. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

For A levels I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing...
    I am now studying Mechanical Engineering at Cardiff University...
    Personally I would suggest more University or Higher Education to everyone... However I don't enjoy my course and subsequently have a year off which I'm happy to have.

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

A-Levels in Maths, Physics, Graphic Design and sat the exam in General Studies (never took the classes as it clashed with Graphic Design :))

Then decided to take a bit of time out to get money before uni and took a BTEC Art and Design Foundation Course. This covered life drawing, art/design history, graphic design, photography including developing film etc, textiles, different print processes including silk screening and the acid erosion onto metal plates (can't remember all the names though as it was a fair few years back) and model making (wood, clay with use of a kiln and cardboard). All of which was taught in way that was closer to uni than a-levels as although there were defined lessons it also seemed more 'free' in it's approach compared with the structured a-level lessons.

I actually found going back to the basics which were often skipped in genre specific a-levels beneficial, especially art/design history as without understanding the past elements of art/design personally I feel that you can't really progress in developing your own styles.

After the course had finished I decided I wanted a break before uni and went and worked near enough full time in a supermarket (had worked part time since 16) and saved for uni. I'd actually recommend a year out before uni to get some savings and also some real world experience.

Then went on and did my BSc (Hons) in Product Design.

4. Didn't do A-Levels :p I did an NVQ (Not Very Qualified :p) Advanced in Art and Design :p

5. Becky

Becky Member

I did A Level Art, German, Economics and Textiles, AS Biology, Physics and Chemistry ><

Didn't goto Uni at the time as I didn't have the faintest clue what I wanted to do (hence the obscure selection of courses), the careers advice at my school was abysmal, considering how good the school was :/

Worked various jobs for a few years, did the odd bit of art/design type things for people and fell into my print production job (they needed 'someone who knows photoshop'). Somehow I managed to get them to pay for my HNC in Graphic Design.

I'd absolutely adore the opportunity to go to my local art school (Arts University College Bournemouth) to top up the HNC as it were and get a degree in Graphic Design, but giving up full-time work isn't an option sadly :(

I don't think even if I knew what I wanted to do that I'd have gone straight to uni either, a year out is a great thing for so many people

6. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Did A-Levels, ICT, Computing, Maths & Physics.

So glad did both ICT & Computing, computing gave a great understand of databases and building front ends in Access which I have then been able to transfer to doing via a website.

ICT was general IT, a nice overview of understanding, dealing with IT projects and such like.

Then went self employed straight after, that was 3 maybe 4 years ago and still going very strong! Never did uni, and don't plan too. I am on a strong salary now and have no regrets!

In Certain fields of work, a Degree is vital, but for most who get degrees, seems to be more to show you can study hard & work hard. So, unless you go for a degree and then have a huge change of plan at the end of it you should be able to use it, if that makes sense.

7. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

I was always pretty sure about what I wanted to do. I went from GCSE's straight into a foundation art and design course (BTEC) I think. Both feet first, hands over the eyes style. Never regretted it.
    I went on to do a Higher BTEC course, then an extra year to top up to a degree. I didn't go away to uni, I got my degree on the cheap.

I guess I was lucky enough to know where I wanted to get, and went straight for it. I sometimes think that I should've gone away to uni, but I did things the way I did them for valid reasons at the time.

8. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I did A-level Art, Maths and AS Physics, then I went to uni (because Tony Blair told me the world would be mine if I did) and studied Electronic Media Design. I think the title's changed to something more accurately descriptive now though. Like Graphic Design & Multimedia or something. I had little clue as to exactly what I wanted to do at the time, so I went with what I'd enjoy.

9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Well I started A level maths, physic, chemistry and media studies, but I hated the college so left and went to work for the government (????!!!!). Then went back and did a GNVQ (generally not very qualified, thanks chris) in media, which was lots of media production techniques, radio, film, photography, a bit of film studies and legal guff. Encounter some graphics work through the photography side of things.

Decided uni wasn't for me, went to work for Barclays Bank and decided uni was for me, but also saved enough money to pay lots of fees and not get into crippling debt. Then started a BA in Design for Media, it was a good degree (Anon or Rob, because thats his name, would agree I'm sure), then I was in a pretty good position financially so decided to do an MA in Visual Communication as well, after a few weeks of it I was in less of a stable financial situation, so did it over 2 years instead.

Now I am over qualified and under experienced!!!!

10. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

School/Sixth Form - O levels/A levels Art College - ONC/HND Graphic Design
    Then ooooo 12ish companies since then...advertising, product design, licensed character, packaging, self employed, greeting card, publishing, MOD and the like.

The university of life dodging and weaving all the way!

11. tim

tim Senior Member

do whatever you want. makes no difference if you're happy and slowly/quickly progressing to your goal.

12. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

haha, strange thing is I did the exact same thing. Started Uni (there was Mike), left for a year then thought, actually Uni wasn't such a bad idea and went back - there was Mike again :lol:

But yeah I agree, it was a pretty good course.

What I have found though is that experience more often than not counts more than qualifications. So try to gain as much of it as possible.

13. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I actually stalking you.

14. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Sixth form
    AS level Fine Art - hated it
    Media - Loved it
    English Language - Liked it
    Psychology - Failed it!

Art college
    Foundation course for Art & Design - Best thing I ever done!
    AS Photography - Good

University

Degree in Graphic Design - Hard work but definitely worth it!!

15. berry

berry Active Member

I got kicked out from Art College after a year and could get into any Uni as I was too much trouble.
    They said I'd never be a designer.

16. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Was that Bath Lane you got the boot from Berry?

17. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Disertation took me 27 hours straight through...that was bad times

18. berry

berry Active Member

aye!!

19. darren13

darren13 Junior Member

Back in the day, I took A levels in Maths, Physics and Computer Science. Maybe Computer Science has changed title now, that was around '92. Things were still in black and white back then!

20. Mikey

Mikey Member

For A Levels I did Business Studies, Computing I think it was called, and Design.

Then did Product Design at Uni. And then decided it wasn't for me at the end of that and went into graphic and web design.