Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do after school?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by chris1791, Jun 14, 2009.

1. chris1791

chris1791 Member

Right, here's the thing. I have one more exam left and truth be told they have went horribly wrong (A Level btw) completely messed up my English exam, doing the hardest question and missing out loads of things, then I had a graphics exam straight after, which just isn't a graphics exam, it's more business studies. Which I totally failed.
    I was planning on going to Uni in September to do Computer Networking, however I've been thinking, if I dont get the grades to go, would it be better to try and get in a design agency? I have plans to start my own IT services business when I'm older, Web & graphic design, IT consultancy etc. Another option is to switch course and do one with lower requirements like Web Design & Development. So the question is, what's better studying 'how to be a web designer' or actually getting stuck in and working and learning your craft as it were?

Thanks

2. tim

tim Senior Member

Good luck with your results first off. :)

Don't worry about getting into Uni. You can do retakes and try again next year or you can speak to the university by phone and try and talk them into letting you in.

My friend got BDD instead of BBC and they rung the university up, explained the situation, and eventually they said "Yeah, okay, we'll accept you."

Just to let you know, according to a few employers I've spoken to (about 10 of them), each one of them says that no design/development course is needed to get a job, they just want proof that you can do it. It's the same idea with clients- they want proof you can do it, they don't want to be shown a degree. Despite that, doing a course like "web design/development" might teach you some disciplines that you don't already know...

It's a mixed bag response for me I guess :p

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Similar situation for me at a-level.
    Did my a-levels in maths, physics and graphic design, had to move to a different school and couldn't get on with teaching methods in maths and physics so got relatively low grades there.

But the best bit was the school decided to teach us the wrong stuff in graphic design, told us we could take notes into the exam, meaning no one revised for it and then on the day were told that we couldn't take our notes in. Well that screwed up ALL of us and only 2 people out of around 30 got above a U. The school took responsibility and offered letters etc, not that we could really do much with them. As I was intending to take a year out anyways I went and took a 1 year BTEC in art and design at the local college first. I personally felt it was fairly simple (even though its meant to be worth 2 a levels :eek:) and was able to use that to get onto my uni course instead, most of it wasn't much different to what I'd already done at gcse and in my a-levels plus some drawing of naked people (male :() :confused:

Personally I wouldn't worry too much over the results just yet, wait and see what happens and then if they are bad look at the local college courses and see if theres anything you can use to supplement the weak areas before uni.

4. Harry

Harry Senior Member

I got an amazing job before I even found out what my results were. Don't worry yourself too much, teachers make this whole mindset that you only ever get one chance. See what your exams are like and do what you want.

5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Dont worry, that never helps.

Short version of my story, went to 6th form doing a levels in physic, chemistry, maths and media studies, left after 2 months because I hated the place. Ended up working for the job centre for a (incredibly bizarre) year, went back did a BTEC in media, year out, BA design for media, MA graphic communication.

Currently working a shit job to pay the bills and freelancing so I can buy guitars!

Basically, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but the truth is there are a lot of graduate advance programmes out there that don't care what degree you've got and that can lead to some awesome jobs.

I think we have been over this a few times now (not a complaint by any stretch) and the opinion is varied, when in doubt listen to Berry.