What CMS..

Ant

Well. I'm not sure (most probably has) if this topic has been made already. I searched and couldn't get anything, just a general question on..

What CMS do you use?

I haven't done web development as long as i have done web design so not so good at it, I have used Get-Simple for a couple of sites though, thinking of moving to wordpress as so many sites want a blogging system too.

You could use wordpress, joomla or drupal for open source. My personal favorate is wordpress for these as it is easier to adapt and much more intuitive then joomla - also much better for blogging. Although Joomla has some good features too. Alternatively you could look to for an out of the box CMS or a bespoke one. If you are designing for clients you could use a partner program like this one.

Well, it's not free but I use Perch. Very simple content management system but the best thing is how easy it is to implement. Create your template as normal and add in editable regions.

It really depends on what your experience is and what you want the CMS to do to what solution is best for you.

Ah see this was moved, didn't know whether to post it here in the first place aha, cheers for that :).

And yeah, I use Get-Simple purely because the websites I made in the past where only small sites and get-simple was as simple as <?php get_content(); ?> and other content was components.

Think I may take a look at Wordpress though, as it is easily converted to be used as a CMS and also have the blogging.

Which out of Drupal and Joomla would you pick if you were going for the less bulky, easier to implement CMS?

There is something I like about Drupal. It's an easy to pick up CMS, at least on a low level. I had a look at theming it though and it was quite complex and I stopped using it before I could get to grips with it. I think they are both good CMS solutions, if not a bit heavy.

Most of my friends who work in dev and cms use drupal. Don't know if that makes a great deal of difference.

Hmm, well, I guess Drupal seems to be used by very many.
Thanks for that, i'll look around.

Anyone else.. your CMS of choice and why?

I like WordPress for the flexibility it offers as well as the hundreds of themes and free plugins available

I've been led to believe drupal is the hardest to do anything on, it's made by developers for developers. Wordpress on the other hand I would say has the most online help and guides and is the most end user friendly. For more simple sites consider your perch cushy and other class related Cms systems. Wordpress is the blogger to learn though!!!

I've only just started taking a look at Wordpress this week, simply for the reason that everyone seems to suggest you can do nigh on anything with Wordpress!

The amount of plugins and options mean that its capabilities are extensive enough so, coupled with the nice user interface, I think it seems to be a really good choice to try and learn.

dedwardp, I am in the same boat, so many people seem to talk, blog, and also use it for websites or even their own blogs it's come to the point I am going to look into it myself.

The main idea i like is simple how you can have your static pages, then set the blog to another page, without and extra plugin etc, as that's what it's made for.

Going to really knuckle down with design and xhtml/css for a few more weeks first though, before i overload my brain with wordpress haha.

Ant said:
dedwardp, I am in the same boat, so many people seem to talk, blog, and also use it for websites or even their own blogs it's come to the point I am going to look into it myself.

The main idea i like is simple how you can have your static pages, then set the blog to another page, without and extra plugin etc, as that's what it's made for.

Going to really knuckle down with design and xhtml/css for a few more weeks first though, before i overload my brain with wordpress haha.

Yeah, I think if I knew its functions properly and could develop a bespoke theme and so on then it would be a much easier way of supplying websites to clients, just need to pick it up.

Have about 15 weeks off over the summer break from uni so intend on trying to pick it up then I reckon.

There are so many blogs and websites dedicated to wordpress themselves i may teach myself the basics of theming wordpress very soon tbh!

Then get a domain again, and get myself a self themed blog up ;) may even blog about my adventures of wordpress haha,

My vote definately goes to Wordpress. I haven't come across any type of website that it can't handle (eg. e-commerce etc). Huge range of plugins and tutorials, plus a great community.

I started by just doing customisations of themes (such as those from WooThemes | Premium WordPress Themes), and once you've got your head around the basics, and are obviously comfortable with HTML, CSS and basic PHP, then you could use a Wordpress framework as a starting point for each project. I currently use Gantry (Gantry Framework - Flexible and Powerful Web Platform). Totally open source, and offers excellent flexibility, and a great place to start building a Wordpress site.

Back