What camera (budget £300 - £500).

rosedani

Hi All,

I'm about to buy myself a new digital camera and would like some advice on what model to get. I'm not a professional photographer (no way near!) but would like something a bit more professional than the usual compact.

I've been looking at the new Olympus E-PL1 because it looks like a good all-rounder and offers the functions of a DSLR but is still quite compact. The Micro Four Thirds market seems to have opened up a bit recently and I like the look of this type of unit because it gives the option to change lenses.

I've also looked at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 which is more of a compact than the Olympus but reviews all say it can offer close to SLR results. The only downside to this model is the lens is fixed (although reviews of the lens are all positive).

My subject matter will vary quite a bit so as mentioned before will need a good all rounder that's quite compact.

Would anyone recommend either of the above? I would just go for the Panasonic if the results were good enough because it would save me a few hundred pounds! But am willing to go for the Olympus if the results are far superior.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kind regards
Dan

Cheers Harry, does look like a good price for a DSLR but I'm looking for something a bit more compact so I can carry it around all the time.

Hi Dan,

Here's a few threads from the DF archives that may help;
http://www.designforums.co.uk/photography/3956-400-spend-all-rounder-camera.html
http://www.designforums.co.uk/photography/2525-entry-level-dslr.html
http://www.designforums.co.uk/photography/2692-digital-slr-freelance-designer.html
http://www.designforums.co.uk/photography/108-digital-slr-camera.html

In the end my personal choice was a Sony Alpha 200, have been really pleased with the results, although I'm sure it's not the smallest/most compact on the market, especially as a few years old now.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I might invest in a full blown SLR if I was taking pictures for clients but for now I just need a camera that offers near SLR results but is portable enough to take on holiday/friends weddings day to day type stuff. I like the sound of the Micro Four Thirds set up because it offers a bit of both.

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan,

I've never seen/used any of the Micro Four Thirds cameras so can't really comment on those I'm afraid. I was always under the impression that a compact couldn't deliver SLR resutls due to the smaller sensor size to fit into a compact. Is it purely the image quality you're hoping to match? As there's a lot of other features/additions to SLRs that you won't be able to match with any compact (as far as I know)

Hopefully someone with more photography experience/knowledge will be able to point you in the right direction :)

Greg

Micro 4/3 is basically going back to the original aps type dslr we used available have prior to most major brands converting to their standard lens formats.

Nikon had the pronea but as it didn't sell well and used a new lens format it never took off.

sony, panasonic and olympus all have the new micro 4/3rd standard models and for some they're a good option but you need to look to the future - the format failed the first time and to date there's still only a limited range of lenses which may or may not be of equal quality and cost relatively higher prices compared with lenses for full size slr's like the Nikon d60/d3000/d5000 (all of which would be my suggestion - kits at range of prices)

If you were to look at a compact camera I'd suggest looking at the sigma dp2 as it has slr quality optics and sensors

Still in two minds about this... I am really tempted to go for a full SLR but know I would get fed up carrying it around with me after a few months! The reviews of the LX3 are all very good but the lack of good zoom is putting me off!

Might just go for the Olympus and shell out a bit more cash... or the Canon G10 looks good... Oh god, this is much more difficult than I first thought!

Cheers for your feedback guys... will let you know when I finally make up my mind!

rosedani said:
Cheers Harry, does look like a good price for a DSLR but I'm looking for something a bit more compact so I can carry it around all the time.

It's compact enough. My missus can put hers in her handbag!

Also what you've gotta consider is if you spend £300 on a camera now, is there a chance you'll want to upgrade to a £500 DSLR in six months time? £500 now is cheaper than £800 in six months :)

Harry said:
It's compact enough. My missus can put hers in her handbag!
How big the handbag, I've seen some big enough to carry an entire slr outfit :eek:

Not that big. Stil big enough to contain half the kitchen drawer but not as big as some haha.

I can fit my 350D plus a couple of lenses in my handbag :( (As well as my purse and a couple of moleskines lol). It does weigh a ton however

Becky said:
I can fit my 350D plus a couple of lenses in my handbag :( (As well as my purse and a couple of moleskines lol). It does weigh a ton however

Girls handbags are scary places… I daren't go in my girlfriend's cos I dunno whether I'll make it back out :(

i'm pretty sure that female handbags each contain wormholes :lol:

Back