• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What are you reading?

henfalz

I have just finished reading two Illustration Business books:

Breaking into Freelance Illustration - Holly De Wolf
How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul - 2010ed. - Adrian Shaughnessy

De Wolfs book has a privincial feeling and is kinda aimed for the timid soul. There are some good positive experiences that i enjoyed reading. This is an American book (actually Canadian) and may not attract a UK readership.

Shaughnessey is more square-in-the-face and shows that he has a lot of milage in the industry. He has a heavy London Studio authority and is very very informative and to the point.

Anyone read these or recommend similar?

Shaughnessey has a new publication that i'm looking into.

Jimlad

"How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul" is a book I've seen recommended a few times. Never read it though. I was reading Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, but I've been neglecting it for some time.

Paul Murray

Staff member
Reading 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley again. Despite being published in 1932, it's like a social commentary on todays society.

scotty

I have a great deal of trouble reading fiction.
I've been trying to read Monkey and Rolf Harris's autobiography for the past few years and still not completed either.

Rhonda

Jimlad said:
"How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul" is a book I've seen recommended a few times. Never read it though. I was reading Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, but I've been neglecting it for some time.
There's a new DiscWorld book? Will so have to seek a copy if there is!

Jimlad

I was talking with Typo about an old book I used to have at school called "How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way" (turns out he used to have it too), and went online to re-purchase it, only to discover its been updated (it now includes info on new-fangled comm-pew-tours) and republished. Happy days. Much more comprehensive than it used to be, some rather interesting ideas in it. Not that I'm going to be drawing a new "Captain Superhero" comic or anything, but it's all transferrable!

martyvibe

The Street Sketchbook one in particular is ace, I must read at least once a month. It's 'sequel' book Street Sketchbook Journeys is also worth a look too.