Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the design trends of 2017

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by sambugtreat, Dec 29, 2016.

1. sambugtreat

sambugtreat New Member

Hi Everyone, My name is Sam new to this forum. Hope to learn a lot of useful information for myself and share a lot with you. Currently, I am working as a website templates designer for http://www.bugtreat.com/ and really love my work. Interested to know about new design trends ...

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Sam. Check back in a year, I'll probably have an answer then. ;)

My main prediction, probably more of the same in terms of web. More Javascript frameworks, more 'web apps', more lacklustre VR marketing experiences (though when VR is done correctly it's a fantastic tool), more lack of clear UX and blind following of bad trends and conventions from lazy designers. I'm not sure if I'd like to see the trend for minimalism in site design to remain though. On the one hand I'm a designer and looooove white space and simplicity (and it makes building sites easier) but on the other, many sites feel lacking, especially when they don't make full use of the available screen space.

Personally I hope this is the year that Adobe gets their shit together and realises they are losing the monopoly on software with the likes of Sketch and Affinity gaining traction from a lot of designers (though Adobe will probably buy them out one day rather than compete and actually improve their own tools). They still have fantastic software, but designing in Illustrator or Photoshop now feels very clunky once you've tried streamlined alternatives built from the ground up specifically for screen design.

Wow, I'm sounding old now…

scotty likes this.
  3. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

If you Google "2017 design trends" then it'll throw up a few predictions as I've seen a few already.

I'm yet to get my shit together and buy Affinity but I will.
    I'm guessing that a lot of other designers will as well considering the price and quality of the package.
    The competition in the market can only mean good things as there is now a choice which should give Adobe a kick up the arse to improve Ai
    and maybe look at it's pricing.

4. Paul Murray

The CC subscription is actually very good value for money, if you use every tool available to you. I like being able to freely install After Effects, Fuse, etc, but I don't use them. I'm essentially paying £50 a month to use InDesign once in a blue moon.

With the myriad of free plugins available for Sketch and the like, Adobe has some serious competition. The bigger agencies will continue to subscribe obviously, but smaller studios can afford to opt out if they choose, especially if they just work in digital design.

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Sorry to take this off on a tangent OP and I will get back on topic but...(mild Adobe rant)

I really don't like the limited choice in the design software market.
    Adobe have had the monopoly stitched up for far too long.

I don't like subscriptions as it doesn't really work for me.
    I use Illustrator almost exclusively and sometimes use Ps for making mock-ups and occasionally tinkering with Ae.
    Don't think I've ever even opened InDesign or many of the others.

£45 pm for loads of stuff I don't/won't use is expensive and so is £17 pm for just Ai.

Back on topic.

For one, the whole vintage thing doesn't seem to be fading off and I think it'll carry through.
    People seem to be liking the whole "hand crafted" look/feel still.

I read that Memphis (80's) design is going to be strong.
    I didn't like it the first time around.

I think Minimalism is here to stay.

6. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ash likes this.
  7. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Also seen that "contrasting text overlays" are going to be big.

[​IMG]

8. Paul Murray

Am I the only one that doesn't see the example in No.6 as a 'flat' design? It has all sorts of colours giving a sense of depth. A logo should be flat, or at least have a flat/mono version. I'm not really a fan of this style anyway, more of an illustration. It works in some situations, but isn't exactly a flexible solution.

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member