What and how do I create designs/art like this?

ayoungh

Hi all,

I really want to start creating art like in Fallout.

What is this called and how do I do it?

Is it Pop art?

Do You use Illustrator?

Like the posters in the game or the wallpaper below?

fallout-new-vegas-loading_posters02.gif

FNV_Wallpaper_12_640x960mobile.jpg

It's not pop art, that's more andy warhols soup can. If you want more reference material you should look at 1920's-50's poster design, specifically war propaganda and coca-cola ads.

And I think the art work is traditional and/or digital painting.

This type of imagery was created long before the first mac, my friend.

Can create it in Photoshop or illustrator

War era Swiss and constructivist (think russian propaganda) designs would be great influences

Originally it would be old fashioned art materials like pencil, paper and paint. If you've got the skills you could do that or if you've not got the materials use something like Painter or Photoshop. To me it looks like proper genuine artwork, not vectors. I'm only going off the 2nd image tho as I can't view the 1st.

Jimlad said:
Originally it would be old fashioned art materials like pencil, paper and paint. If you've got the skills you could do that or if you've not got the materials use something like Painter or Photoshop. To me it looks like proper genuine artwork, not vectors.

Even without the skills, as it were, the best place to start is always pen and paper :)

it's deffo redrawn as a vector based image, edited in photoshop, de-saturated a bit and grunge added, but i think that's to tie it in with the era of the game. The halftones are the key for the style here, you can make it out in the shaded areas, really great effect, and, looks lovely.

For style of drawing definitely look at the old 50s imagery - try an istock search for 'pinup' and you'll see.

RETRO

Romack said:
redrawn as a vector based image, edited in photoshop

You could be right there, the more I look at the edges especially on the hair it looks a little too perfect not to have vectors involved at some point. I'm not seeing great detail on tapatalk so it's hard to tell.

Back