Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well Hello

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Superfurryanimal, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Superfurryanimal

Superfurryanimal Junior Member

Hello from an enthusiastic amateur named Rob.

Being unemployed for the best part of a year now I've been fending of the desire to do nothing be play video games by teaching myself a bit of HTML/CSS. I've been producing basic little sites for freinds and family since and summer and.. I love it, can't get enougth!

Wanting to take things further I've started branching out in my learnings and I'm currently having a bash at PHP. As its the first scripting I've dabbled in however its casuing me headaches that books and online tutorials can't solve. So here I am, looking for freindly place where I can bug those in the know with the occasional question!

I've got myself a lil aptly named portfolio site http://www.slackdesign.co.uk which is advertising for freelance work and I am a little conscious of treding on professional toes. Though my woefully inadequate design and SEO skills should prevent that anyway!

So, Nice ta meetcha.

2. welcome to the forum Furry :)

3. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Wotcha, well done for being enterprising rather than just playing games and watching Jeremy Kyle :D

4. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

welcome to DF dude!

5. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Hey welcome to the boards!

I am also (attempting to) teaching myself HTML/css, and perhaps move on to web site design. Although I don't yet have a portfolio. Having technical difficulties with PS4 currently. And I still would like to learn other design programs out there like InDesign and Dreamweaver.

So far the html is easy though I am not surprised that php might be a little more complex. What tutorials are you using? I am using the online site called "w3schools.com". Ive found it to be really good as far as information and it has its own way of letting you try what the lesson is.

Anyway, nice to meet you too, hopefuly will see you around the boards.

6. Superfurryanimal

Superfurryanimal Junior Member

[QUOTEWhat tutorials are you using? I am using the online site called "w3schools.com". Ive found it to be really good as far as information and it has its own way of letting you try what the lesson is.][/QUOTE]

Started with Lynda.com tutorials, which I use as a starting block to learn anything even if the tutorial is a little beyond me. I find them an excellent way to jump straight into somthing.

The Lynda.com tutorials, especially the "essentail training" series, are usually fantastic for this but I found the php/mysql ones a bit too much the first time round, I was surprised after learning html/css more at how easy they where, rather than how difficult php is.

I bought myself a couple of books as well which came recommended, the Visual Quickpro guide for PHP and MYSQL has been pretty useful so far. Otherwise I'm just bouncing around on tutorial sites been looking through w3schools.com aswell. I'm getting there at least! Been building some joomla templates recently putting a bit of basic php into practice to allow for extra modules and whatnot, thats really helped.

The biggest problem I find especially learning all this stuff on your own is what to learn and when. php or javascript just seemed like a logical step after html/css but my acctaully design ablity is still very shoddy so I've taken a break from the php and the past week or so I've just been designing mock up sites in PS and then chopping them up for porfolio fodder, purely just to improve on the basics.

7. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Wecome to the forums mate

8. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Welcome.