Website Subscription

samjacksondesign

Good evening all.

I am after some advice/info on website subscriptions.

I would like people who enquire to automatically be added to my newsletter subscription list.

Is there any way of doing this?

Many Thanks,

Sam:up:

ummmm, you might want to read up the eu rules regarding that, last time I checked that wasn't allowed unless you had a tick box to opt in/out :)

You also need unsubscribe options on your newsletter.

I actually had one company (quite a big name) refuse to cancel unsubscribe me (I never subscribed), I asked first, nothing happened so I ended up emailing them quoting the eu regs (you can be prosecuted for failing to unsubscribe a user). My 'newsletter' never came again....

Jeees!

Right im with you.

So if i placed a subscription icon on my site, and they subscribed off their own back this is ok?

Just i can't automatically presume every customer wants to subscribe.

I will check up on it now.

Thanks Levi:)

Don't want to sound harsh but I don't think any customers will want to subscribe if it's just your portfolio site…

Save yourself the time and expense is my only advice, start a blog and Twitter account if you want people reading your stuff :)

samjacksondesign said:
Jeees!

Right im with you.

So if i placed a subscription icon on my site, and they subscribed off their own back this is ok?

Just i can't automatically presume every customer wants to subscribe.

I will check up on it now.

Thanks Levi:)

yeah thats the basic jist or if you do assume and automatically add them there must be a way to be removed from the list.

But I'm with Harry - do a blog or something, most of my newsletters end up in the junk folder

@Harry - The idea of a subscription newsletter as it is for a clothing company of mine. For latest offers etc. I am just trying to grasp the easiest and friendliest way of approaching it.

Many Thanks,

Sam

Just to add, if you're looking at using a service such as Campaign Monitor or MailChimp for your newsletters they have buttons/code you can embed in your site for the sign-up, they then handle un-subscribing, & opt-in info for you :)

I will check them out when i get home later on.

Just another query. This is completely off topic but does anybody have experience of setting up company cashback schemes?

Feel free to call me an idiot if you like:)

Ta,

Sam

I would also suggest using mailChimp or Campaign monitor, out of the box they take all the hassle of end user subscribe/unsubscribe actions on your website.

Mail chimp also offering a free account with up to 6000 recipient send per month!

Yes, they have a selection of basic HTML templates you can use, and a built-in designer tool to customise them, you can also upload your own e-mail templates and use the MailChimp tags as needed to pull in data fields from your subscriber database.

Back