Website Review

scottsinclair

Hi all, great to see such a vibrant forum. I have set up a small agency in Swindon and just wanted to see what you thought about the website we've created.

Honestly, it screams 'electric' company, ie like edf or the likes.

I have no idea what any of those symbols represent and they only have meaning when you hover over them.. I also see no reason to have them multiple times just at different sizes.

i don't like the colour scheme either and if I'm being totally honest if I was looking to hire you I'd be questioning your taste.... also not sure how well it would work for disabled people with colour vision impairment which could then fall foul of the disability act etc.

It's a wix site!

Scores 17/100 on the Google speed test.

I have set up a small agency in Swindon and just wanted to see what you thought about the website we've created.
That suggests you are new business yet your website suggests you have worked with a huge list of big brands.

And it's still a wix site....

I am afraid that this site is in breach of the Equality Act 2010. The Alternative text has not been set up for people with visual impairments correctly, upon inspecting one of the images it's ALT reads "Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 10.39.02.png "

If you would like a report undertaking on corrections you need to make to enable 'A' compliance, I would be happy to discuss.

I am afraid that this site is in breach of the Equality Act 2010.
Are you sure about this? The act doesn't require the attribute to make any sense. In fact I'm not even sure it's a breach as the Act only requires the image to be identified - a description, title or caption for example would be sufficient.

Are you sure about this? The act doesn't require the attribute to make any sense. In fact I'm not even sure it's a breach as the Act only requires the image to be identified - a description, title or caption for example would be sufficient.

Some images have been identified correctly but others have not with no other text around them supporting it or Title.

Understanding accessibility
Making a website or mobile app accessible means making sure it can be used by as many people as possible.

This includes those with:

• impaired vision
  • motor difficulties
  • cognitive impairments or learning disabilities
  • deafness or impaired hearing

PS: I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, it just that the guidelines sometimes need to be applied sensibly. With regards the website under review here there are far bigger issues than adding alt text.

Actually I'd disagree with the alt text failing the act as well, while it's not how I'd necessarily alt text my own images it does fulfil the requirements of giving 'understandable' text alternatives to an image imo.

Consider also the images used for decoration don’t need alt text as they can be ignored by screen readers. For example an icon used to indicate a quote won’t need anything as the markup should use a quote tag.

the alt text was one example, yes if the image is for decoration agreed, some of the images i found where not just for decoration and showed examples of works undertake. The guidance can be confusing at times but, i hope we all agree that websites should be fundamentally accessible for everyone.

PS: I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, it just that the guidelines sometimes need to be applied sensibly. With regards the website under review here there are far bigger issues than adding alt text.

agreed there are far bigger issues with the site, like the light text over a light background.

in relation to web accessibility see this link https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/h...aking-your-service-accessible-an-introduction certain website have to adhere to stricture guidance.

there is also an interesting article here https://info.webusability.co.uk/blog/accessibility/website-accessibility-guidance-and-the-law

the latest working draft for web accessibility by w3 org is below

Direct from w3 org

Success Criterion 1.1.1 Non-text Content

Understanding Non-text Content|
How to Meet Non-text Content
(Level A)

All non-text content that is presented to the user has a text alternative that serves the equivalent purpose, except for the situations listed below.

Controls, Input
If non-text content is a control or accepts user input, then it has a name that describes its purpose. (Refer to Success Criterion 4.1.2 for additional requirements for controls and content that accepts user input.)

Time-Based Media
If non-text content is time-based media, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content. (Refer to Guideline 1.2 for additional requirements for media.)

Test
If non-text content is a test or exercise that would be invalid if presented in text, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content.

Sensory
If non-text content is primarily intended to create a specific sensory experience, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content.

CAPTCHA
If the purpose of non-text content is to confirm that content is being accessed by a person rather than a computer, then text alternatives that identify and describe the purpose of the non-text content are provided, and alternative forms of CAPTCHA using output modes for different types of sensory perception are provided to accommodate different disabilities.

Decoration, Formatting, Invisible
If non-text content is pure decoration, is used only for visual formatting, or is not presented to users, then it is implemented in a way that it can be ignored by assistive technology.

That’s just the W3 guidelines. They have no legal standing. You quoted non compliance with the Equalities Act. What’s the specific clause that requires the use of alt text?

That’s just the W3 guidelines. They have no legal standing. You quoted non compliance with the Equalities Act. What’s the specific clause that requires the use of alt text?

20 Duty to make adjustments
(1)Where this Act imposes a duty to make reasonable adjustments on a person, this section, sections 21 and 22 and the applicable Schedule apply; and for those purposes, a person on whom the duty is imposed is referred to as A.

(2)The duty comprises the following three requirements.

(3)The first requirement is a requirement, where a provision, criterion or practice of A's puts a disabled person at a substantial disadvantage in relation to a relevant matter in comparison with persons who are not disabled, to take such steps as it is reasonable to have to take to avoid the disadvantage.

Back