Website Revamp - Feedback!

C Fresh Design

Hi I am Claire Freshney and I am a freelance graphic and web designer.

Please view my website: Home | C Fresh Design and tell me what you think.

The portfolio page does need some attention as I need to upload some more pictures and resize some as it is a little slow at loading, but besides that most of it is complete!

Feedback welcome.... positives and negatives :) Thanks!

i really like the logo, the font selection, the colours.

the paper texture on the navigation panel is quite swish, but not really matching the feel of the rest of the design.

page by page:

your home page is just an image of your logo, it doesn't welcome me it just feels like a holding page.

the 'about' page has a good feel to it, the picture and text are nice and warm, but i didn't manage to go past the first paragraph without wanting to flick to another page, it's not incredibly snappy!

portfolio page looks very nice, but maybe it'd be better for potential clients to have full access to that work upon request, and your top 5/10 pieces of work ready and waiting on that page.

the testimonials page is very dull and boring compared to the rest of your site, maybe have them wrapped up in quotes like you have your intro on the 'about' page?

contact page is nice but there's no real alignment between the left div and right div. the map also has no pin anywhere, just a map of an area you may live in, not really sure why i'd want to see it if it doesn't tell me something specific.

that's a quick bit of feedback for you to work with :)

i'm sure more people will come through and give you feedback, just probably didn't see it!

Hi many thanks for these tips, very helpful. I will definately excite the testimonials page up a bit more. The homepage is a slideshow you can flick through my portfolio pieces, can you recommend a good image for the start of the slideshow instead of my logo? Another piece of work? Maybe I could use the 'about us' style text header for a quote or welcome page? I am going to change these whole set of images to make them a quirky slideshow maybe!

Preferably I would like to show all my portfolio pieces of work, as I do find many clients come to me wanting all different kinds of things from packaging to print to illustration to corporate websites to fun websites so I want there to be at least a couple in each sector.

I don't have any other information on my website about C Fresh Design so my about page is the most text you will see, so its still short and sweet, but still enough info!

Thanks for your tips, do you have a website??

A big improvement on the last site i must say. The menu is nice with the paper texture but i just ends, with a perfectly straight edge, it ruins the illusion a little.

I'm not sure about your logo, i think there's one exactly the same as it, from another company, but done much better.

The about page is prob the best, nice use of a strong header, with simple text underneath.

On the homepage i think you could lose the 'other galleries'

I'm gonna stop there really, there's some issues with Typography in your work, but as long as the client is happy, that's the bottom line.

Well Done, keep smiling.

i think less is more with regards to your portfolio.

when i look at a whole page of thumbnails in a portfolio, i don't feel like there's any personal attention for each client personally, it feels like you're just a machine pushing them out in no time.

i'm not saying that's what you do, but I automatically get that feeling when I look at lots of thumbnails :)

The homepage is a slideshow you can flick through my portfolio pieces, can you recommend a good image for the start of the slideshow instead of my logo? Another piece of work? Maybe I could use the 'about us' style text header for a quote or welcome page? I am going to change these whole set of images to make them a quirky slideshow maybe!

remember that your clients don't think like you at all.

their brains will want some emotive reason to stay on that website, and they'll decide within just a couple of seconds. if you have images on there and they; 1) don't know why they're there, 2) don't know what to do with them, 3) don't see why they'd personally want to look at them, you've already lost them.

merging your about page and your homepage may be a better idea. but keep it as simple as possible.

your portfolio is for non-creative clients, so, despite the fact they may look and say "ooh that's pretty", unless they're told what to think about you, they'll leave.

your website can be pretty as you want it, but it's got to please your clients more than it pleases you.

Thanks Romack - i'm going to be adding different galleries. The one that is there is temporary. Thank you for your comments.

To the other guy, I really disagree with your portfolio theory. If you take a look at any designers website they always have a selection. They will be looking through my work because they like it. If they are wanting a website designing they will simply click 'websites' at the top to narrow the selection, which will save them from as you say scrawling through loads that they don't want to. Do you have a website of your own? How do you arrange this? Can I see your website? But thank you for your comments. I have taken note of testimonials page and made changes :)

C Fresh Design said:
To the other guy, I really disagree with your portfolio theory. If you take a look at any designers website they always have a selection. They will be looking through my work because they like it. If they are wanting a website designing they will simply click 'websites' at the top to narrow the selection, which will save them from as you say scrawling through loads that they don't want to. Do you have a website of your own? How do you arrange this? Can I see your website? But thank you for your comments. I have taken note of testimonials page and made changes :)

if you're happy with one set solution then run with it.

all i believe is there's a 'selection' and there's actually a selection, but do what you prefer, it was/is just my two cents.

I'm going to shock a few people here.... I actually agree with Tim!

There's got to be something wrong somewhere as this never happens lol

ok... can i see your websites Tim and Levi so I can see how you resolve this problem? Although on my site there are sections so you can view what you like. There HAS to be a selection of portfolio work. If I went to a company and only saw 5 things that wouldn't be enough! For instance, if a client wanted a website, they would come to my site and click portfolio > websites and get a selection of 5. There is a corporate one, a fun one, handcrafted one and a different layout one. There HAS to be a selection. If i was a client and wanted a corporate website but only had 1 website and that was for a childrens play area - you aren't going to win them over? So many times clients have said to me.... 'can i see what _______ you have done'. Some may not even ask that question if its not there.

Ive asked to see your site Tim a few times? Would you please send me your URL?

I'm the first to admit my current one is crap but work comes first... the links below, it did it's job but I've moved on in terms of personal style AND way I market myself from when I did it.

My new one isn't ready for uploading yet but it will aim to correct all the issues (a lot) I see with my current site.

C Fresh Design said:
ok... can i see your websites Tim and Levi so I can see how you resolve this problem? Although on my site there are sections so you can view what you like. There HAS to be a selection of portfolio work. If I went to a company and only saw 5 things that wouldn't be enough! For instance, if a client wanted a website, they would come to my site and click portfolio > websites and get a selection of 5. There is a corporate one, a fun one, handcrafted one and a different layout one. There HAS to be a selection. If i was a client and wanted a corporate website but only had 1 website and that was for a childrens play area - you aren't going to win them over? So many times clients have said to me.... 'can i see what _______ you have done'. Some may not even ask that question if its not there.

Ive asked to see your site Tim a few times? Would you please send me your URL?

i have a basis for a website that i've had around for a while, but haven't had the chance to develop it yet, i have been in full time work for the past 2 years :)

i don't really want to argue my point further as it feels a bit like you've made your mind up, but i'll try one last time.

if i was a client, a person with no design ideas or actual creativity, i come to you to tell me what i need.

if i can't really figure out what the point of your finished work is, if all i see is 200 logos and poster images. as a human based on emotion prior to anything else, my mind would be boggled and i'd leave and go to one of the next 4,000 competitors to see how easily i can digest what they're selling.

i swear half the reason that cheap designers websites get so many clients is because they make it obvious how easy purchasing is and what it's all about.

as a designer or developer, it's easy to assume that everyone has the same great mind and creativity as you. but in actual fact there's a very small chance the person visiting really knows why they need x y or z.

Anyways guys - I think you should all subscribe to E-dea. It is a brand new social networking site coming soon - like no other. It is for creatives, businesses and professionals. It is an online ideas site...... If you are creative - you must subscribe!!

I'll sign up as long as you get some help with the designs. I see the logo is the same typeface you use in your own logo, and again it's pixelated.

The strapline underneath is also fragmented, the thickness of the lines is all over. Design professionals are gonna notice this and stay away.

I'd love to help, i think we all would, with a project like this, hell, i'll do you a logo for free to get you started!

Also, blue on green should never be seen...

Toodles

Hello the logo is the same typeface as i it is a sub brand of C Fresh Design so I am keeping it all the same the functionality is most important at present so as long as it looks appealing, that is all that matters!

Blue and green actually go well, as you may also notice foursquare have just used the same colours (slightly annoying)... however what a successful brand! If you would like to have a shot at a logo, feel free! email to [email protected] and i will let u know what i think..

Claire

Back