Website Opinion

RossAdams

Just been modifying/tweaking around and i'd like to get a few opinions on this website if possible before i submit to the end user. Just the one page at present, nothing groundbreaking, kept to a minimum, clean and simple.

http://web.me.com/rossadams/rs

I'm not so sure which browser you're testing it in, but in Firefox 3.5 Beta 4, the navigation - or at least the 'Reclaimed Pine - Ledged Plank Doors - Kitchens - Tables - Furniture' text - is not fitted within the top banner.

Design wise, I think it's alright. I'm not too sure about the bottom footer with the flower decoration - it seems a little randomly placed, if you can see what I mean. This could be probably due to the fact that the colour is a lot darker than the top.

Code wise, I think this could be tidied up a lot more to make it easier to understand - I'm sure you'll see what I mean when you study the HTML page. I can see some DIV tags with multiple classes, perhaps you could do this with a lot more. It seems to me like you have a lot of unnecessary tags too.

Hi Ross,

Design wise it's ok. But why is the Flash down in the bottom? If they add more content then you'll have to scroll to see all those nice images. Why not have the Flash at the top between the header and the content instead?

The background is a bit plain to me. I know wooden backgrounds are becoming very overused, but as you're dealing with furniture and wood here I think it would work perfectly.

I'd also make the site a bit wider. Maybe crank it up to 960px? It just looks very small (I'm on 1280x1024).

The code is a mess but I guess you're still working on that.

Hope that helps in some way!

Thanks,
Soren

Design wise, I think it has a lot of potential...but to be totally honest, i dont really see the relevance (apart from wood to furniture) to the photos that slide across at the bottom of page.

Those photos are so nice and yet the user doesnt see them until they are at the bottom of the page. Perhaps add a 3 small thumbnails (60x60px) opposite the navigation (Reclaimed Pine - Ledged Plank Doors - Kitchens - Tables - Furniture) that change on page refresh. (google "php image change" for a couple of simple tuts on this)

I know that there is no final content but i think you really need something to grab the viewers attention above the fold line.

Its an interesting background image youve used for the page - constructed as one .png bedded in the html...perhaps try slicing the design and code it all using external style sheets - this will start to help clean up your code a lot too. It will also allow your pages to 'stretch" with content.

Try and sort out the shadow to go all the way around the age of the page area too - it looks odd whee it just cuts off.

I also think that your content font is a little bold, perhaps increase its size by a pixel or two and remove the bold style.

While writing this ive guessed that the reasoning for the single background image is cos its just a draft your showing the client - the 3 right hand buttons will of course be links wont they?! ;)

Hope this helps, will be interested to see its progression.

Phil

Just to shed some light on the project and in particular the code, this is a freebie for a friend, and like many reading this, even though it's a freebie it still has to look half decent, hence the request for feedback.

Now as you can probably appreciate those 'love jobs' need to be done as quick as possible so i thought, in a moment of madness, I'd drag and drop a few shapes and images, wait for it here, comes the bomb shell, into iWeb!!!! (screenshot below)

Some of the images i already had, but the process took 20 minutes. So as it's just been a drag a drop built site (i can see you die hard coders go for a cold shower now) there's no control over the code itself, but for a 20 minute freebie i don't think it's turned out too bad

Lol yes iWeb... I've used it once before until some guys pointed out how terrible the code was :)
Now I use it to make single page presentations for school (you have to admit they have some sweet templates). :clap:

PS: what's the orange icon in your dock?

Sunburn said:
i've been sick {iweb}

I bet you're not the only one....keep in mind I'm a designer not a web developer, if I'd had to do it in DW it would of taken me all day, pathetic i know :cry:

Sunburn said:
i've been sick {iweb}

I bet you're not the only one....keep in mind I'm a designer not a web developer, if I'd had to do it in DW it would of taken me all day, pathetic i know :cry:

Yeah but I can do a quick freebie site in Notepad just as quick as an iWeb one. Not an excuse really lol ;)

Sunburn said:
i have started drinking now, so i really not sure whats going on lol
Governments all over the world are advising you to take shelter for an incoming alien attack... what the hell are you still doing here? :eek:

(and before someone asks, I have WiFi in my bunker :p)

Is that all you could come up with?

You could've told him he had died. He'd have been piss scared.

Back