Website in Flash

kish123

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right section, I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I am currently a university student and for my final year project I am going to create a website using Adobe Flash including the login/register page. If you have time I would appreciate if you could complete a survey for me.

Web design

I am going to research human computer interaction and was hoping with the research and the results from the questionnaire I would get some sort of idea for the perfect design.
If anyone has created any websites in Flash I would love to know the problems, if any you had any.
Thanks.

Kish

Flash is just heading towards being redundant for whole websites with the advent of HTML5 and Apple's decisions on Flash last year. Perhaps have a read about the web and make doubly sure before you plough in and learn all that.

I hate to say this as I was a fan of Flash through uni and afterwards but web standards (HTML, CSS, JavaScript / Jquery etc) and modern browsers native capabilities have really excelled in the last few years and are now widely regarded as the future of the web and the Flash plugin is getting less and less relevant for most types of websites as you no longer need it anymore. Apple not allowing the plugin on their iOS devices and publicly slamming it didn’t help its reputation!

Flash is still great for certain types of 'experience' websites and games since its capability is still way ahead of HTML5. I have seen the Opticians link you posted and I've got to say that is a dreadful example of a Flash website. Seriously, its full of pointless effects that have nothing to do with the content of the page and you could mute them down into something more tasteful and jut use web standards instead. You would not only get a better looking website, it would mean you would gain massively in accessibility and SEO. It is that type of website that gave Flash a bad name - I'm sorry to say this but it is true.

Whilst I agree with what all these guys say about Flash, it's still taught at university - annoying - instead of HTML/CSS. Not many uni's out there take the time in their course to teach students even the basics of web development, and it's only students who have enough time to sit and learn it outside of uni, that are capable of building sites. Talk about starting from a shitty position when they graduate.

Flash is just heading towards being redundant for whole websites with the advent of HTML5 and Apple's decisions on Flash last year. Perhaps have a read about the web and make doubly sure before you plough in and learn all that.
Yep Flash has no future other than perhaps complex games and animations. Even using Flash years ago for forms and websites was a bad idea. It's now a bad idea with no future.

I’ve been getting the same response from a lot of people, never knew how unpopular Flash was, even the responses of the surveys a lot of users don’t want to see a website made in flash. Instead of Flash I might use HTML5 and jQuery as the results will be the same and the languages will be used in the future.
Thanks for the responses again, been a big help!

Smart move all round from you - did the market research, got the response and adjusted your approach. HTML5 isn't just another newer version of HTML - it represents a sea change in content delivery over the web. As it's new then demand will exceed supply so get skilled up in it now.

I agree that flash is pretty much redundant on the web now but still an amazing bit of software, we only really use flash now for video, animation and things like desktop presentations etc.

Back