Website design comments/feedback/suggestions

Oogwei

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some general feedback and opinions on this design. This is for a conference site that will be ready to go live in mid-September. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Thanks.

Hi Oogwei - is this a template based design? I only ask as it looks really good for the most part but there are some really obvious errors which just dont seam to fit?

The "register now" button is the most apparent, its the same size as the bottom two - fair enough, but it throws the entire right hand side of the site out, make it smaller (same width as that column) and everything will line up - its consistant without being a duplicate of the other buttons.

Also, the background - did you make it or is it a wallpaper chopped up? I only ask because the bottom doesnt really "work" Infact I dont think the bottom pannel works at all - is it there just because its fashionable to have a different coloured block at the bottom?

Its all just very flat, looks like a collage of other websites just chopped into place, nothing seams to fit it just looks like you've piled it all ontop. At a first glance it does look good, but the more I look at it the more it falls to peices.

Sorry and hope you stick around these parts!

Hello Oogwei

I'll be honest, the first thing I thought was this a template (and this was before the above comment) as it looked very generic once you take away the top and bottom flourishes of colour etc.

I've got some issues with the right hand sides alignment of all the elements as they don't seem to work very well, especially the grey box at the top.

I'll agree with Brendan (br3n) in that it does seem as thought things aren't quite meshing together as a whole too, the imagery boxes in the centre are too dark against the rest of the colours for example.

br3n said:
Hi Oogwei - is this a template based design? I only ask as it looks really good for the most part but there are some really obvious errors which just dont seam to fit?

The "register now" button is the most apparent, its the same size as the bottom two - fair enough, but it throws the entire right hand side of the site out, make it smaller (same width as that column) and everything will line up - its consistant without being a duplicate of the other buttons.

Also, the background - did you make it or is it a wallpaper chopped up? I only ask because the bottom doesnt really "work" Infact I dont think the bottom pannel works at all - is it there just because its fashionable to have a different coloured block at the bottom?

Its all just very flat, looks like a collage of other websites just chopped into place, nothing seams to fit it just looks like you've piled it all ontop. At a first glance it does look good, but the more I look at it the more it falls to peices.

Sorry and hope you stick around these parts!

Totally agree with br3n

br3n - I'm not sure what you mean by 'template-based' . The imagery in the top and bottom is from the conference's main design, including the '3d' look of the logo's letters. The design is grid-based, and the "Register Now" button was an attempt on my part to break that grid in order to draw attention to the button itself, but I agree with you that it doesn't look right and needs to be fixed. Thanks very much for your comments, and please don't bother apologizing or worrying about hurting my feelings; getting an honest critique is SO refreshing. Thanks!

Levi - I'll try to work on that gray box. I was trying to replicate something from the main conference 'ad' that's going to run in all of our magazines and sponsor sites, but I don't think it's translating into the website. Thanks for pointing that out. The imagery boxes were originally a reflection of the main navigation buttons, but the marketing team here requested that the navigation change and I haven't updated those boxes yet. They're not global elements so I haven't worried about them yet, but thanks for your comment and I'll make sure to keep it in mind when we start building those.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm going to take another stab at this over the next couple of days and post what I come up with.

Back