Website Design & Business Card Critique

Hey all, I haven't managed to edit the site yet due to my coder being a bit busy tonight. Although I have got my business card idea to show, and get peoples opinions on.

The front is the blue with multiple logos, then a choice of various contact sides

Cheers,
Adam

Kudosis_BusinessCard.png

Hi Adam,

But late into this thread, but as you've posted your business card it's like a new section within :)
I personally like the top two, not so keen on the angled ones or vertical one.

Cheers,
Greg

I agree and disagree with Greg TBH. I don't like the angled ones, and I do like the top two, but I also like the vertical one. I think it's a different feel to the average business card, and it attracts me :D

colours are great, shadow text effect is even better.

My mate finally got round to amending the site, so check it out now http://www.kudosis.co.uk/ - Creative design solutions -
I have used images for the nav now so I could have the tracking how I wanted it. I also added 2 filler images to slide through to check how it works properly. One thing i've decided is that i'm going to look at possibly making a portrait version of the opening page blue feature box, to show off portrait print work better, as its to small to see it properly. The other option is that I have the slider to link as a lightbox too, so if the image is clicked it loads the piece of work up bigger and the right proprtions. Not quite sure of the best way to do it yet.

Nothing else changed to it except those two bits

Cheers,
Adam

I LOVE the effect on the image slider/viewer for the featured project area...that's really simple and smooth and looks nice.

Good design too...almost feel like you need more blue somewhere though, maybe in the footer...I don't know.

About your business cards, looking good, my favorite is the top two.

Cheers Vertigo, the slider is the jquery easy slider. It works well for certain things, but only problem at the moment is what I previously mentioned which is showcasing portrait dimension work, I have to decide whether to have a vertical slider (wont 'look as good) or have a link/image linked to open it up in a lightbox.

I'm not 100% sure yet!

The business cards look different when I saved, the 2 bottom left ones should have a slightly grey bottom half where the text reflects, the png doesn't show it very well i don't think!

Cheers,
Adam

I think top 2 business cards, but maybe not the reflection on kudosis? Maybe...

As for the website - looks good although I dont like the line under the nav - dont think it needs to be there, just the colour change will do enough and wont ruine the simplicity of the design!

Yeah I think i'll be removing the line on the nav, it's not needed really, i'm trying to over complicate things which isn't fitting with my design or style.

Going to print my card designs out later and mock some up, see which ones I get along with the best, but I have a good few weeks until this will all be finalised, so i'm sure there will be plenty of changes :p

For me I def. like the top two business cards. The angled ones just don't read well with the exception of the third one down from the top left side.

The websites Im not sure about...I love the slider -its a great idea. The site is simple, easy to read and clear. With the "about" page I get an instant commercial -down- to -business feel to it which is good but I'd personally like to see something fun and quirky. hard to explain! Maybe more graphics or some great typography to break up some of the text and show off your personality? ....but i wouldn't overcrowd it like you say...I prefer the less is more kind of look and simpler styles.

I think there is too much white space, instead of adding things to it perhaps try a slight colour change to the background? Take off the white glare? i don't have any experience in web design and really am not sure but that's just my two cents worth if it helps at all.... :-S
I'm sure the other members will be able to help you more with their opinions/expertise! Look forward to seeing it all up and running though! :D

I think I need to go down a more serious/business type website as i'm trying to set myself up as a full time freelancer. So I need it to look kind of commercial so potential clients looking at the site can see what I do.
I'm not really going for a personal portfolio now as i'm not interested in applying for another studio job at the time being.

There is definitely something missing on the about page, but can't quite put my finger on it. I don't want to follow the same layout as the front page as the portfolio page will be similar to the front, with each project having a nice big image to view, like this: www.kudosis.co.uk/Kudosis_Website_Portfolio.png with a bit of blurb and project title accompanying each image.

I might cut the about me section down a bit, and see if there is some more space for other elements or to make it a bit easier to look at

I've been looking at the About page for the past 30minutes, i've decided i'm not 100% happy with it so i'm trying to think of how to improve.

I'm not looking to make it over complicated neither am I looking to ram it full of irrelevant information. I might space out the services text more so it doesn't seem to cramped, as it's not fitting with the minimal/lots of space feel with the rest of the site.

I think the image i'll have of my first "published" piece of design will add a quirky feel to the page, especially when they see the drawing (you can imagine what its like at 5 yrs old). I might try another quirky feel to the page by changing the skills & abilities to "super powers & abilities" then have a little image of a super hero accompanying the text, just to give to keep a fun/quirky feel to the page, as i'll make the hero's colours Blue and Orange with a "K" on his chest? It will also make the skills bit stand out more than just plonked in the corner with the about me text.

Ok, been playing with the About page for most of this evening, and i've finally come up with something that I really like. I took out irrelevant images and kept it simple. My portfolio page will include a lot of pictures etc, I also slightly reversed the layout of the main page, to keep it a bit different.

What are peoples opinions on this now?

www.kudosis.co.uk/Kudosis_Website_About.png

Cheers,
Adam

Thanks for the comments guys, yeah i'm finally happy with it, although I am going to try the quote straight to see how it looks, as I feel it could work better if it was straight.

Took me a while to get the page how i wanted it, its great to post it on here because deep down i knew the original could be better, but you trick yourself into thinking its ok, when someone else says it though it kicks you into gear!

Now the next page is the portfolio!

As others have said looking much better Adam :)
It has a strong point of visual interest as well as the footer detailing, nice work.
Also agree about having the quote straight, might also be worth looking to include some quote marks too.

Greg said:
As others have said looking much better Adam :)
It has a strong point of visual interest as well as the footer detailing, nice work.
Also agree about having the quote straight, might also be worth looking to include some quote marks too.

Cheers Greg, funnily enough i've just straightened the quote and given it some quote marks (bit bigger than the font to exaggerate a bit), and it looks much better on the page! Hopefully my friend coding it will be on today to get this page all set up!

Adam

Back