Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web nerd from Toronto

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by mariepoulin, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mariepoulin

mariepoulin Junior Member

Hello,
    I am a web nerd based in Toronto, Canada, and I love all things web.
    I work at Thinkhouse Design where I am the lead wed designer/developer.
    Just recently I have decided to move into Freelance, so I will be working with Thinkhouse on a contract basis while I pursue my freelance endeavors.

Check out my personal site: Marie Poulin | Graphic Designer with a passion for pixels

Cheers!

Marie

2. Scott

Scott Member

Hi Marie, welcome on board! I really like your portfolio, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about design, as it looks like you've got some great skills!

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Marie,

Welcome to Design Forums, glad you found us, at what sounds like an exciting time moving from the lead position to your freelance projects! Your freelance portfolio looks excellent some really nice project examples on there, looking forward to hearing more from you around the forums :)

Thanks,
    Greg

4. tim

tim Senior Member

yaaay another nerd!

5. Rob

Rob New Member

Hi Marie, I love your site! Keep it up!

6. Harry

Harry Senior Member

You can never have too many web nerds, welcome from another one.

7. Welcome to the forum Marie :)

8. shaqal

shaqal Member

Hello!

Nice to meet ya ;)

9. mariepoulin

mariepoulin Junior Member

Well, I finally did it- I left my full-time position, and am now a full-time freelancer! I even just got myself a studio space downtown! Any tips/tricks from the more experienced freelancers?
    :D

10. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Hi Marie,

Welcome to Design Forums! Your portfolio is really impressive. Some great work there!

Best of luck with your new freelance adventure!

Thanks,
    Soren

11. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Hey Marie, welcome to the forums! Glad you've made the plunge, good luck with it :).

12. Greg

Greg Active Member

Congratulations Marie, that's great news :up:

As for tips/tricks, I'm by no means experienced but from my year as a freelancer, I would strongly advise getting a job management system in place from day 1, from the job details itself organised in a job bag/folder to the invoicing system, it's much easier to implement that and stick to it than try to introduce at a later stage. If possible get some software that helps manage your invoices with e-mailing PDF invoices as well as providing basic bookkeeping, since I did that a few months back it's saved me countless hours and hassle - wish I'd done it back when I started! (You probably already have something similar in place but just thought I would mention it :))

You should find some useful info in the freelancing section of the site & positive you'll get some good feedback/responses if there's any specific questions, we have some very experienced forum members.

Best of luck with it all.
    Greg

13. captainrage

captainrage Senior Member

Gah, jumping fully into freelancing.. Crazy. I wish I had the balls.
    Nice website, very fluid. Hi.

14. berry

berry Active Member

Canadian Web Ninjas! More gobblygook for Jazajay to decipher.

welcome to DF.