Web hosting - Do I need it and why?

I think this maybe too advanced for me :(

I read the article and understand the jist of it explaining how you have to use flash replacement content, but it doesn't tell you how? What is SWFObject 2.0? software?
Is this more for flash developers?

Im not too sure what to do

SWF Object is a small javascript file for detecting and delivering flash content. If a visitor doesn't have flash installed or is a Search Engine spider then they get redirected to an HTML equivalent page.

If you are going to build your own site then you have some learning to do I'm afraid. Otherwise use an online builder or hire someone. Check this post out for the online builder options; http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.u...site-platform-showcase-my-graphic-design.html

ok thanks

How is wordpress in a google search? I mean if i create a site with wordpress would search engines be able to find it easily?

Google 'wordpress portfolio theme' or 'wordpress designer portfolio' and you'll find 100s of themes.

Go to Daily.co.uk | UK Domain names | VPS hosting company and register the name of your site. Daily I believe also do hosting if you want to keep it all in one basket.

If in doubt, call them - tell them what you want and they'll help.

Then, when you have your site installed, running with Wordpress in its basic form, come back here and we can tell you how to get the theme installed.

You could literally have a site running in about 30 minutes from now and it be accessible by the world in 24 hours - it's relatively simple and I'm not particularly web-savvy.

Hope those who are more techy agree with my 'jump in' and get something up and running advice! :)

Hope those who are more techy agree with my 'jump in' and get something up and running advice! :)

Yep, totally agree. Dive in and get something running with your chosen domain name. At least it will get crawled and recognised. Performing in Search Engines is a long-game so get your Wordpress site functioning and then learn from there.

There are some good SEO plug-ins for Wordpress as well. Just bear in mind that on-site SEO is partly about using the right tags for the right job or 'semantic markup'. Worth Googling before you start adding all your content! :icon_biggrin:

If I remember correctly you have a degree in digital media don't you? How in-depth is your knowledge of flash as leaned during your degree? I only ask as getting a handle on action script to successfully build a good quality flash site is probably as complex as learning XHTML, CSS & a bit of java.

If you must have a bespoke site (ie, not one from a template) why not design your site in photoshop and then befriend a coder to put it together for you? It'll probably only cost a few hundred and you'll be left with something that portrays your talents rather than looking a bit off the shelf.

Back