Web Design Project

Xenonsoft

Hi guys. Just look for your views on the design I've come up with for a project I'm working on. The client is happy with it. I also created another similar design that had slight differences but they prefer this one so we will be going ahead with this design.

Just looking for your constructive criticism and thoughts. Cheers.

2zf6h54.jpg

my only point would be that the menu should go fully across the top for me.. as it feels unbalanced from the footer :)

Other than that :) I like it :)

Cheers Chris. I see what you mean about it being unbalanced. I'll have a think about that. Only thing is that the nav will be generated dynamically from the pages stored in Wordpress, so that might affect what I go with a little, I won't be able to space it across the full width, it would have to be centred or similar. I'll think about it though. Cheers man.

Alternatively mate you could make a background to the whole menu so it balances it off :) maybe in a darker grey or something like :lol:

Only thing I would say apart from the above is about the text in the menu. I don't like some text above other. Not sure what you could do I just don't really like that bit?

Hey Fred,

I'd also let it either span across or left align it. It doesn't work right aligned I think. The menu items could do with a bit more padding in between them as well.

The color of the menu is a bit harsh and gives too much contrast I think. Perhaps tone it down a tiny bit to a more darker grey (and white on the hover state instead of black)? I'd also try making the seperators more subtle and the same with the inset effect on the call to actions. The text column would look better aligned to the picture above it. You could also play with some imagery or some other elements in the call to actions. They seem a bit dull and I don't really want to click on them.

Would also be a good idea to get the actual tagline from the client. So you can see how it will fit and play with the typography of it to make a graphical element in itself. It looks like it's just whacked in there at the moment :).

Just my 2 cents..Hope it helps!

Cheers for the feedback Mike. Do you not like the fact that there's some text above others, or the fact that in some cases the top line is bold, and in others, the bottom line is bold? Problem is due to the amount of text there's really no option of keeping it on one line so the two line's of text in some of the buttons is required.

RE: Chris - Possibly mate. I'll have a think about the options. Does anyone else think it needs changing as it feels unbalanced?

EDIT: Thanks Aarlev, good advice. I'll have a look at those points tomorrow and reply to that better then.

Regarding the padding I might be able to add a little more, although it's got to be flexible for the client to add another page in there as they may add an 'Articles' page in at some point, so I need to leave a little space. I can probably give it a couple of pixels though, I'll have a play tomorrow.

I'll have a look at the colour and separators and will see whether it needs to be toned down a tad tomorrow. Regarding the call to actions I was originally planning to look at incorporating a relevant icon into each one but plainly forgot until you mentioned that. I'll have another look at whether that's feasible tomorrow. The text column is currently aligned to the 'Our Mission..' text on the left and on the right aligned with the text in 'Resources' & 'Collecting & Sharing Information'. I personally feel that keeps it all in shape, are you thinking it looks a bit sloppy like that?

It's a good point about the tagline, I'll send them over an email and get that sorted.

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated.

Just another thing as well Fred. I think it could possibly look better if you made the text size in the main menu a tad smaller or find another way of getting everything on one line. It looks strange with some of them on two lines and some of them on one.

I can have a look at making the text a tad smaller but I can't see it all fitting on one line (with the space for another page to be added - 'Articles'). The only other option would be to remove the Contact page from that list and put it somewhere else (possibly in place of the tagline if they're not hot on using one), as it wont actually be a page but will be in a lightbox.

Right, had a play around and sent it over to the client to see what they think. I'm not sure whether I prefer it or not, as it's better in some ways (feels more symmetrical) but now the nav is less dominant it almost feels outweighed by the other elements on the page.

Let me know your thoughts guys, cheers.

2e4xerr.jpg

Note: In the footer I may have another logo or two to add, it's currently being discussed, hence the temporary 'other' slot.

Cheers guys. Do you think that the nav is now outpowered by the large call imagery & call to actions below? I'd prefer to have the nav a little more imposing but can't fit it in any larger than it is.

sorry I deleted the post and blocked the member as it was Spam, Fred. Sorry for any confusion.

Back