Web design contract

Hello everyone,

I have just become involved with a new website design for a brand new customer. They have asked for a contract which covers copyright of text, images, design, coding and so on.

I have to admit I've never had to do a contact for web design. Does anybody know of some good resources for this? Especially the coding bit...

Many thanks,

If it's their website they need to deal with the copyrights etc. They can't copyright the coding because every single designer does it, the design you could potentially argue over purely because you are creating a design for them and it was a bespoke design. But other than that they need to worry about the copyrighting etc so I don't really see the need for a contract in my opinion.

Sounds like they could turn into a bit of a nightmare. lol

Hi Jonathan,

I'm sure it will be fine. Some people just like to get down to the nitty gritty more than others :icon_biggrin:

Phil

It's a task that is well worthwhile completing. Have your solicitor review it once you feel that you have completed it. Very brave to trade without t&cs.

Personally, I'd ask them what they wanted to do about copyright, put it in the contract (as their responsibility) and set my fees accordingly (in short, have as little to do with it as I could get away with).

I have one of these Turn your talent for web design into a profitable business but an old version - it is invaluable for contracts and legal documents etc for web design (could be adapted for graphic design). I have written my own and will post at a later date.

I personally wouldn't buy anything from sitepoint, no matter how good the content is, just out of principal :(

I bought an older version of this a few months back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphic-Art...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317568413&sr=1-1

It's written mainly for an American market but it's still a pretty good overview on working ethically and dealing with clients and other creatives. It doesn't have any mention of surviving a recession though, at least not that I've come across yet :p

Anything related to starting a business or such like I'd speak to the Citizens Advice or a solicitor to ensure the information is correct and specific to you, and contracts are as tight as they can be.

Last edited:
Back