Web design and using photoshop

TomStutt

Hi

As im pretty new to designing website and have only done them in html and css. Ive never built one from using photoshop to design it and css to style it. is this pretty simple to do and does anyone have any type of documents on how to do this?

Cheers

photoshop is good for design and slicing though.................your css skills need to be good to get a functional site.

Hi Tom,

A good starting point is to work to 960 pixels widewith the 960 grid system - 960 Grid System

Also when you're adding placeholder text make sure you set the anti-aliasing to 'None' as this will render the type in your design as close to a browser as is possible.

Other than that think about the various elements of the site you can build up with CSS, but don't get caught up with how it can be coded initially, as it can be easy to limit your creativity and stick to a standard format if you keep your developers hat on!

HTH in some way
Greg

I'm a big fan of the 960 grid it gives you the perfect width and various column options.

I always start with a blank page though because it gives me ultimate freedom. Once I've got an idea I'll overlay the grid to tidy it up. If I start with the grid I'll inevitably design a 3 column layout!

Actually before all that I start with pencil and paper. It's incredibly difficult to get proportions and scale correct, but once you've master that it's so much faster!

Back