Waterproof Menus - Printing on Plastic Substrate

inacea

Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first post on here, but I have been following the board and have already picked up on a few of your recommended suppliers, so thanks to those who take the time to post.

I have a customer who is looking to get a small run of approx. 250-500 hotel restaurant and bar menus printed, currently they are doing a bit of a DIY A3 home printed and encapsulated sheet but would like to step it up a little and produce something more professional and hopefully folded.

I have discussed lamination with them but they are really concerned that they will soak up drinks which are spilt, and won't stand up to people using them as placemats and dropping food all over them. My first thought would be to just order twice as many laminated leaflets as needed and replace any spoiled ones through the season, but they are really keen for something which is waterproof and wipe clean and which will last a season of 6 months.

It seems to me that there are not a huge amount of options open, other than the encapsulation that they are currently using and lamination which would most likely not be hardy enough. I have found one other option which is printing onto a plastic substrate, but after searching and searching I can see that it is very rare. I have found two sites offering it, but they look only very vaguely professional and I have heard nothing back from them with regard a sample request.

So I just wondered if anyone had any experience on printing on any waterproof subrates or any advise or suppliers which could help me produce a waterproof, wipe-clean menu which would look professional in a restaurant? Any help would be much apprecreciated!

Cheers, Emlyn :icon_smile:

The issue you have with plastics is firstly the cost and secondly whilst they wont absorb water they are susceptible to scratching and are nigh on impossible to fold and keep folded. Lamination will stand up very well to drinks being spilt and being used as a coaster. Visit your local weatherspoons or Brewers Fayre and pinch a menu, they're laminated card which are expected to last 12 months (usually replaced with annual menu changes).

Although with lamination the edges aren't sealed and can absorb liquid, encapsulation is best but don't have any other suggestions unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have spoken to my customer again and they are warming to the laminated menus and ordering plently so that they can be replaced when they wear out.

I've been trying to get some prices together and I must admit I am suprised at how few printers seem to be offering this type of product.

The spec that I am most likely to go for is...

A3 Creased and Folded to 4pp A4 / Full Colour Both Sides (Litho) on 400gsm / Matt Lamination Both Sides

The only decent price I have been able to find is with these guys, I have had samples off them and the quality is good.

Jamjar Print - http://www.jamjarprint.com/matt_laminated_brouchures_menus.asp

I don't suppose anyone else knows any decent printers who might offer matt laminated card menus?

Thanks for reading, any suggestions welcome.

The quantity would most likely be 500 or 1000. Thanks for your interest Minuteman, I will send out an email shortly.

Laminate printing

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have spoken to my customer again and they are warming to the laminated menus and ordering plently so that they can be replaced when they wear out.

I've been trying to get some prices together and I must admit I am suprised at how few printers seem to be offering this type of product.

The spec that I am most likely to go for is...

A3 Creased and Folded to 4pp A4 / Full Colour Both Sides (Litho) on 400gsm / Matt Lamination Both Sides

The only decent price I have been able to find is with these guys, I have had samples off them and the quality is good.

Jamjar Print - http://www.jamjarprint.com/matt_laminated_brouchures_menus.asp

I don't suppose anyone else knows any decent printers who might offer matt laminated card menus?

Thanks for reading, any suggestions welcome.

We do a laminate job for one of our customers they use pallet boards for outside use all year round 330gsm
board with gloss laminate both sides works a treat and a regular repeat order so should be fine for a restaurant.
cheers [email protected]

Back