Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Warning Rant inside...* Everyone thinks they are a designer..

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by chrismitchell, Feb 9, 2009.

1. [rant]
    sorry but just felt like sharing this... my boss is a complete idiot :mad: for some reason he thinks he's a designer and can redesign an entire website in bloody word and let me make it work ... he's just made fundamental structural and hierarchical changes to one of our sites in word and expects the changes to be made today.. he's not in for another hour and i'm just biting my tongue trying not to get too angry as i don't want to take it out on him about it :( just very angry that people who have 0 design ability / knowledge expect the moon on a stick when it comes to design and web design..
    rant over..
    [/rant]

2. Adam

Adam Senior Member

Try working for the people I do, most of my clients want boring work, then the odd occasion they say "We want it modern" so I do something modern, and then I get the reply "Ok can we change it back to the old stuff as this is too modern"

Makes my blood boil!

3. yeah i've worked for people like that too.. the worst one was a council who wanted "funky" and ended up being so much of a pain in the arse that i ended up designing something that looked almost exactly the same as what they had (it was a brochure with council rates etc.. very boring stuff).. and they absolutely loved it saying it was perfect and "funky and fresh"

sooo frustrating..

my current boss is just as annoying with constant (when i mean constant i get phone calls at home with suggestions to our sites / design stuff and over the weekend as he never stops working / thinking about it..) I work full time for this company and i said this weekend that he could just email me the updates / ideas and i can look at them on monday and his response was that he wanted to have the design stuff implemented as soon as possible (first thing monday morning) so he can see if it makes any difference... its just impossible..
    grrrrrr

/rant over...

4. Adam

Adam Senior Member

If thats the case, start claiming overtime for the work. Thats what I do here where I work, if there's jobs that need to be done or finished by monday, I get paid time and a half if i do it outside work hours.

Propose that to him, then see if he rings you over the weekend :D

5. LOL sounds like a plan

Might try that if he calls me tonight with more "ideas" LOL

6. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

In a previous job (inhouse) i was told by the MD i wasnt doing my job properly because the flyers i was doing didnt have enough wow.

By wow - she meant - every colour under the sun - minimum of ten typefaces (comic sans included) and loads of stars.

Great.

I left soon after.

7. Comic Sans???????

Dear god... as i am also the IT guy here at work (by the words IT I mean that i am the only one who knows anything about computers LOL) I have removed Comic Sans from the server completely, it is NOT allowed in this office LOL

8. Greg

Greg Active Member

nocomic The stuff nightmares are made of!!!

Nice work!! :D

9. well i said to everyone when i took over the IT duties before Xmas that i wasn't going to allow it .. a week after i had a meeting with the boss and he said that someone complained that i had removed it (he wouldn't tell me who though LOL)