Wallpapers

glenwheeler

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask what might seem to be a silly questions.

How do people create wallpapers where they are all different size to fit resolution. Do they create the biggest one first then just scale it down? Or does that just distort the wallpaper? I imagine a lot of people use photoshop for this so it wont be vector so how is this done? Any tips would be great, thanks.

Hi Glen,

I would guess start at the largest resolution and scale down as best they can, obviously there will be some sizes where small parts may get cut off, but I guess that's the compromise in producing a full set of sized wallpapers.

Even easier if it's a vector as you can copy and paste your vector from AI into PS and then resize it without losing quality as a vector smart object, so you could start at any size :)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for that Information. I was thinking about Illustrator but i was wondering how it would handle photograph's I want a 1680x1050 wallpaper of a "Creative Lewis Hamilton" design all the ones on the net are boring! and no1 seems to enjoy F1 wallpapers. I was going to set myself a task and try one myself.

Cool, go for it, and yeah if you're doing a vector one I would first design that in AI, and then just copy and paste into PS as a vector object for the final wallpaper :)

Biggest first!

With some stuff in illustrator you can auto trace them and they look fine and then are vector, so have resizing freedom!

I think they make 2 versions, one for widescreens and one for regular screens. And then they take the biggest of each version and scale it down.

I know a guy, when he makes CD covers, he works to the size of record sleeves at ridiculous resolution, you know, just in case!

mrp2049 said:
I know a guy, when he makes CD covers, he works to the size of record sleeves at ridiculous resolution, you know, just in case!

Just in case vinyl makes a comeback? :D

I have some really old MJ vinyl's blood on the dance floor is one of em, its meant to be worth a bit any offers? lol

you should try multi layer a2 600dpi files! A friend sent me some files in such a high res that it was ridiculous to do any work on. She was complaining why they were so slow to work on :rolleyes:

I soon knocked them down to a useable dpi :)

I was dealing with a0 at 300 dpi for my masters final project, that was horrible, I couldn't even listen to itunes!

Back