w/c 9 Septemeber 2013 - The FABtotum

Levi

Staff member
Inspired by Sean's 'weekly font' posts I'm going to try something similar with new 'things' that fall under the categories of product design, 3D or CAD.
The thread can be used to inspire, to help add things to your wish list or just be there to discuss how good or bad it is, the choice is entirely yours :).
For this weeks episode I've picked the FABtotum due to myself and others having an interest in 3D printing.
fzfv.jpg

The FABtotum is one of the first products in a new breed of home 3D printers, these not only include the original melted plastic additive approach but can also includes a scanner and/or a cnc mill for subtractive modelling. In the case of the FABtotum it has all three features and to my knowledge is the only one of it's kind targeting the 'home' user. It's a product I truly believe will speed up the development of these home 3d printers, even more so when you consider windows 8.1 includes 3d printing as a new feature.
The FABtotum has already been funded on indiegogo where you can read more about it and they have a site at http://fabtotum.com/

http://vimeo.com/72722061#at=0
I'm personally hoping they'll release a v2 which is slightly bigger and can work with more than one colour at a time because when thats done it will make the product ideal for someone like me who works with 3D from home.

This really is pretty awesome. When these become truly available to everyday people it's going to be incredible what we see coming out of these things. Shops like Etsy are probably going to explode with new sellers! I wonder how those kind of products will go down on that kind of site...
What's the likely RRP of this product, I couldn't find it.

if you base on indigogo goal pricing it's about $1000 if you build it yourself or add $100 to have it prebuilt. So you might as well say a £1000 in the uk which isn't exactly bad pricing when you consider what you're getting.

I would have thought around £800 max considering the exchange rate. It's not a huge amount for businesses who can make it profitable for them, not much at all really. Does it do normal 2D printing as well?

The reason for £1000 is that being non uk based you may get import taxes, you will likely order more stuff, think drill bits, plastic wire for the additive 3d priting, other bits and bobs etc, that will soon add up trust me. I looked at some of the earlier options that came out (makerbot etc) and because I had to order/import the device and it's 'ink' from the US I ended up doubling the price to 'save on postage'. Decided against it obviously.
As to 2d printing, kind of I suppose... It could work with the plastic extrusion and a sheet of 'paper' so you get that slight raised text like thermal transfers etc.

Back