Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vote for policies, not personalities!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by iain_darkflare, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Vote for Policies - Vote for policies, not personalities!

If you've got a spare couple of minutes, I think it's well worth taking the survey on the site.

It provided an interesting insight into who's policies I actually agreed with the most.

I am putting forward the suggestion that we implement a new voting system. Touch screen questionnaires, asking the voter a range of policy based questions, and then it automatically votes for the closest party. That way people may actually vote accurately, instead of just picking the whoever comes across best in the press.

Sadly as it stands I'm pretty screwed for choice in my district. Only 4 parties running, last time there were 8!

2. DeanZappy

DeanZappy Senior Member

I took this survey a couple of days ago, came across it on Twitter. Its a good idea and it really makes you think about your personal beliefs and not just - I vote Labour, I vote Tory etc on principal.

As for the above mentioned voting system I think it would be great, most first time young voters know ****-all about the polices of the party they vote for.

Also in a lot of countries voting is mandatory, I think we should adopt the same system over here.

3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Or not.

4. I almost suggested that myself in my first post, then thought the better of it. It's a really difficult one, in a democracy you have to also have the right to abstain. It would be great if everyone eligable did vote, but forcing those who aren't interested just leads to the vote not being taken seriously.

5. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I'm interested, I just didn't want to vote.

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

well thats interesting - I'm 50% labour and 50% bnp. Hmm was going to vote labour anyways.

Economy Labour Education BNP Environment BNP Immigration Labour

7. 77% Green

23% Lib Dem - Crime & Welfare apparently

8. DeanZappy

DeanZappy Senior Member

Bit of a mixed bag, mine came out:

Crime - Lib Dems
    Education - Lib Dems
    Environment - BNP
    Health / NHS - Labour
    Immigration - UKIP
    Welfare - BNP

Lib Dems - 33.33%
    BNP - 33.33%
    Labour - 16.67%
    UKIP - 16.67%

Wont be voting BNP though.

9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Politics ppfffttt stay awy I say. So important yet so important yet so boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. I might have to rethink the auto vote survey system, that was a close one. :confused:

11. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Having discussed the hole voting thing at length with various people now, I have come to this conclusion:

Voter apathy means extremist politics can be given a chance. Lets do the maths if a area has a 15% extreme voter bias, and the general turn out only clips 37%, then that 15% accounts for a great deal, as they will all turn up and all the idiots who join the facebook groups "BAN THE BNP" don't actually vote, 'because voting is a waste of time'.

So point being, not voting only gives the smaller minority parties a chance to get in, as the minority supporters care more about their parties. So if you don't like the big 2, just go down and vote lib dem/green/local(plaid/snp), atleast then some people who are only slightly mental might have a say in running the country, rather than complete loonatics, such as Nick Griffin or Gordon Brown.

12. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

However, according to the survey, I have 50% BNP.

13. Lunera

Lunera Senior Member

Wow, what is this policy ?

About environment :"This Party is the only party to recognise that overpopulation –whose primary driver is immigration- is the cause of the destruction of our environment."

About education : "The restoration of discipline – including corporal punishment – uniforms, traditional teaching methods and stricter exams (e.g. ‘0’ levels)"

It's unbelievable !
    It's like the FN party in France, I think, the far-right party. They are crazy.
    Is it the BNP party ?

14. DeanZappy

DeanZappy Senior Member

Yeah, BNP (British National Party) is a far-right party in the UK. They have very strong views on immigration and until recently only white people could become members.

They seem to have gained a lot of ground over the past few years though.

15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

The only reason the bnp has become a success is because of how their policies have morphed from white power to being for the british people.

The bnp are currently a bit of zebra politically. Close your eyes you still have the same old horse, no matter how pretty they try and make it look!

16. Jeg

Jeg Member

Conservatives
    33.33%
    UKIP
    33.33%
    BNP
    16.67%
    Green Party
    16.67%

Crime Conservatives
    Democracy BNP
    Economy Green Party
    Education Conservatives
    Europe UKIP
    Immigration UKIP

I certainly wasn't planning on voting for the Tories, rather Labour or Lib Dems. =/

17. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

seems like your choice of policies is quite the opposite :p

18. That's what I love about that site, it totally throws your preconceptions out of the window!

19. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I choose not to vote conservative because of the way in which they operate, if there policies were the best I still wouldn't vote for them as I wouldn't want them to be the elected party.

It is not a preconception of what they plan on doing, it is an opinion of what they do do and what they represent.

20. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I would rather put my testicles in a tigers mouth than trust this country in the hands of a jumped up public shool boy desparately trying to be hip, coming off more like a harry enfield character!