VizionThree Branding

Silver Firefly

I'm in the process of creating my website and although I pretty much know what I'm after for the rest of the website design, I'm struggling with the branding. Branding is one of my weakest points in design, so I was hoping you guys could cast your eye (pun intended!) over my efforts and provide some feedback and/suggestions for improvement?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the eye is not a part of the branding, it's the logo-type I'm worrying about. Do I need a logo-mark or not?

v3-branding-v1.jpg

Do I need a logo-mark or not?

For me, there isnt really an answer to this question - only opinions can be given on it.

As your company is design based, arguably perhaps a logo-mark would be beneficial as it would perhaps give you a chance to show your creativity. However, depending on what the wordpress themes are like that you design, a minimalist text based logo could work a treat.

Im assuming from what youve said that using a photo isnt a good idea for a logo - perhaps if you want to try some logo-marks you could look at using the pupil of the eye and coming up with a nice but simple vector design of it.

On the other hand, I really like the text bit at the moment, its agiven that some tweaks could be made - but my one problem with it is that it doesnt say wordpress themes, or design, or anything OTHER than optometry until I read your tagline.

Hope this helps a bit, look forward to seeing this progress.

It's hard to tell if your logotype is suitable for it's use. I know nothing about you or your work at the moment, so I don't know what you're trying to say through your logo.
At the moment it feels clean and professional, but how does it represent you?
Branding doesn't stop at a great logo either. Your branding should permeate everything that might come into contact with possible clients.
Try putting your logo ideas into real applications, like a simple business card, to give you more of an idea of the scope of the overall impression you will be giving.

I'm also a little concerned that you have figured out what you are doing with your website before settling on your branding. Seems like the wrong way around to me. I tend to work the other way because the look and feel of a company website should be led by the identity, so that a cohesive message is being sent.

I realise I've rambled a bit but I hope some of this will be helpful.

Cheers

Ken

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll have to pay a good logo designer to do something with the branding.

See, I really am useless with branding. :(

Although I'm good at layout design. :)

I didn't mean for my comments to put you off, I was just trying to give a little guidance by explaining how I would approach it.
The logo you have is a good start, but I think you can put a bit of a spin on it inspired by your own personality, as the logo is meant to represent you.
Who better to do that than yourself?

That's all very well and I do have some ideas but I'm not good with Illustrator. Still trying to get to grips with the basics of the tools etc. I find it frustrating to use compared to Photoshop. But I think I'll give it a whirl in Photoshop.

The reason why I came up with the name was because I visualise a design for a website, and because there's three layers in web design which are, content, presentation and behaviour (HTML, CSS and Javascript).

I feel that the "3" is brandable. Like if I wrote it like this, "Vizion3."So I was thinking of a hand-drawn "3" next to the word, "Vizion" which would be done in the Chalet font.

The other thing I was thinking of for a logo-mark was a circle being enveloped by rainbow colour spiralling outwards. But in my version, the circle is invisible. This is the one I like the most, and I'm trying to figure out how to do it in Photoshop (as I've said, I'm no good with Illustrator so might have to find someone who is brilliant with Illustrator to recreate it for me).

I'm pretty good with illustrator, I might be able to help you out further down the line.

Will the logo have to be reproduced over a lot of different applications? A multi-coloured logo is fine for web based display but it might become problematic in the real world of print.

Another thing to consider is that a strong brand/logo should be able to work as single colour black, but still convey it's presence and feel.

It could be that the "Vizion3" logo type will be strong enough on it's own with a bit of development, then your rainbow idea could be incorporated as a design feature on your website.

Jumping into this thread very quickly, one idea I can see from the name 'Vizion3' is to drop the 3 into the 'z' of 'vizion' so the z forms the top part of the number and you have the curved tail running from the bottom, if that makes sense?

Just a quick thought, hth.
Greg

Krey20 said:
I'm pretty good with illustrator, I might be able to help you out further down the line.

Will the logo have to be reproduced over a lot of different applications? A multi-coloured logo is fine for web based display but it might become problematic in the real world of print.

Another thing to consider is that a strong brand/logo should be able to work as single colour black, but still convey it's presence and feel.

It could be that the "Vizion3" logo type will be strong enough on it's own with a bit of development, then your rainbow idea could be incorporated as a design feature on your website.

Thank you, I would appreciate your help with Illustrator further down the line.

Well the multicoloured logo-mark wouldn't work in black, which is what I was thinking about.

The logo-type and logo-mark will be on invoices, contracts, etc as well as on screen.

This is what I liked about the eye, it was the coloured part of the iris so yes I could incorporate the colour idea in the design of the website instead of the logo-type.

Greg said:
Jumping into this thread very quickly, one idea I can see from the name 'Vizion3' is to drop the 3 into the 'z' of 'vizion' so the z forms the top part of the number and you have the curved tail running from the bottom, if that makes sense?

Just a quick thought, hth.
Greg

I like the idea. I'll give that a go. Thank you.

Here's a super quick sketch of it in illy, just using one typeface, also threw up the idea of adding a third circle along the top to place the 3 in, hopefully something to give you a few ideas...

vizion3.png

If I was you I'd hit the layout/sketch pad and just quickly sketch out ideas using the type and shapes it throws up, sure you'll come up with some good concepts to develop on PC/Mac ;)

Greg

That's awesome. I'm hitting the sketchpad as we speak. I've been replacing the "z" with a "3" which also works out well with a bit of modification. I really like the circle idea.

I think I'm going to go with the font I was using which is Chalet London 1970 and replace "z" with a "3." That seems to be the best of the ideas I came up with. I'll demonstrate in a minute when I get the basic design finished.

UPDATE: Here's the logo.

vizion3-branding-idea.jpg
vizion3-branding.jpg

What do you think?

Below are some of the better ideas I had regarding branding the "3."

vizion3-branding-ideas.jpg

Gregs concept of z and 3 is good, and i like your prefered font. but the 3 only works if it centre axis is closer to the baseline otherwise you lose the connection and concept.
I think the 3 will jave to be done in Illustrator as a unique character

That doesn't work for me. The one I did makes the "3" stand out but it's balanced. When I move the "3" down, it looks unbalanced. It was in fact one of the crappier ideas I did yesterday.

The "z" that Greg did looks like a distorted "3" and the distortion is what I'm trying to avoid. So I'm using a normal "3" but with the flat top as you can see. So it could be passed for a "z" like Greg suggested.

Back