Vector image quality

Any tips on maintaining image quality on vectors... I'm finding that I get different image qualities for different sizes of vector image - like my avatar for example - it seems to pixelate at the tips... I'm saving it as PNG and I've tried GIF as well.The vectors on this site: http://cottonbureau.com/ seem to be really crisp - is there anything I can do to improve the quality generally?Might it have something to do with DPI?

PNG and GIF are web graphics format and will always be pixelated. For Vector images you need to save either AI, PDF, EPS.

Jordan said:
PNG and GIF are web graphics format and will always be pixelated. For Vector images you need to save either AI, PDF, EPS.
or svg for the web albeit not as well supported as it should be

This is a 72dpi image exported from illustrator without anti aliasing on.

starxp.png

Same image exported with anti aliasing on.

star2dh.png

That might have something to do with it. It does more than double the size though, 3kb right up to 8kb.

I think even my terrible mobile internet can cope with a 5k increase :D
What software are you using Steve?

I'm just using Illustrator - but I haven't really tweeked any settings - should really learn to use it properly :D So little time...

It should work fine with default settings to be honest. Can you take me through your process from beginning (blank canvas) to end (uploading the image to the forum) as I'm sure there is something odd going on here!

Back