Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using USB as ram...

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Renniks, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Anyone know much about this?
    How effective is it?

with 3gb in the laptop, is it capable to boost performance that much...? (and same for a 512mb)

If so what 'ratio' does the USB's space convert to RAM... (ie 4gb mem stick = 4gb ram?)

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

it's not worth it for anything over 2GB. You would see more improvement going 64bit os and changing the 1GB stick to a 2GB for dual channel (it works best with 2x the same size sticks).

3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I'm using 64bit OS, and meaning for my laptop, which has a restriction it would seem of 2.87GB (motherboard?) irrelevant of 3 or 4gb of ram...

4. Levi

that number sounds more like the gpu is taking some of the ram to me.
    Have you tried 2x2 sticks

5. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I tried 2x2 when I had vista 32 and got the same value. (with 2x2 and 2+1)
    Not quite sure why I'm after more, but if I get the situation where I need it, wondering how effective putting a 4gb (or my 16gb) mem stick with 4gb (max) allocated for readyboost...
    Also looking at getting a very cheap eeePC for more portable situations and as that has 512 in, was wondering if this was a cheap and cheerful option if chromeOS allows it.

6. Levi

if you still have the ram try it now you have 64bit.
    On the eeepc you would get better performance from paying about 20 quid out on some proper ram, usb ram is slow.

7. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I don't, I borrowed it in the shop I got my 1gb from :p ...
    not ideal to open one up to test really, if I'm not planning on buying unless it works..

Yeh most likely a better option.
    Like I said was after cheap and cheerful as I already own the flash. And hence asking is it any good :p but you've answered that.

Sigh, why can't I just have £1000 to buy a MBP ;) ;) ;)

8. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

MBP...for christ sake don't get Levi started again.

9. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Hahah :) apologies...

10. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I'd like one off santa as well.

11. Levi

You can, but first you have to earn it or get a bank/person/fish to loan it to you :p

12. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

USB flash drives are too slow for RAM really. Might as well use them for funny pictures or something :p

13. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

fish give me money on poker quite alot :p
    But I'm not playing at the moment haha

14. Levi

I was referring to a loanshark :rolleyes:

15. tim

tim Senior Member

£764.15 for uni students ;)

16. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

But then I'd need the apple cover, and it would help to have a carrying case, oh and the cable to connect it to a monitor, and some apple software, sad times when I'd need £1000, so I think I'll just buy the £60 eeePC with extra ram?

17. tim

tim Senior Member

764.15 - mbp
    47.00 - applecare
    24.95 - incase sleeve
    17.80 - mini dp to vga or dvi

which apple software?
    iwork? £54.

altogether (with no iwork)
    £853.90

and you can get the incase sleeve for cheaper online, and probably the same for the mini dp.

18. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Would the USB transfer rate not be incredibly slow compared to that of proper ram? even USB2 is like a slug in comparison (I had same argument about external HDD's)

19. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Yeh, it would seem that way, I just wanted to see how worthwhile it is with the speed deficit...