Using the oval marquee tool in Fireworks

Jazajay

Hay peeps,
Thus is driving me nuts.
What I want to do is create a rectangle using the rectangle tool, then remove the bottom section to create a semi circle bottom edge.

So the top, left and right would still resemble a rectangle, but the bottom side would go in forming a semi-circle shape. But it would all still be part of the same shape if you get me. If I haven't explained it well let me know and I'll put an image of what I'm after up.

So I go and create a rectangle using the rectangle shape. I then create an oval marquee across the bottom of it and hit delete to remove that section. But nothing happens.

I then convert the rectangle to a graphic and try again, but still no luck.

So in desperation I turned to this tutorial ~ The marquee tool ~ and still no luck. So how do I do it????? :mad:

Jaz

I don't use fireworks, so probably not the best person to advise, but I would think the easiest was is to draw a path of the shape you need then convert to a marquee selection. Combining shapes with the marquee tool in photoshop is tricky to get two shapes lined up. You would need to start with an ellipse and add the rectangular top not the other way round.

i maybe can help you with that. but would be better if you post here you PNG file or some sort of image for better understanding :D

That kind of shape can be a pita, I ended up doing the the shape on my new site in solidworks as it was quicker :).

EDIT - this was written for the rounded corner bit initially but its the same process - The only suggestion I can give (if you haven't solved it) is to make two identical rectangles (using either rounded rectangle or rectangle tool) but one has the fillet applied (red) the other has no fillet (black). Then rasterise and delete accordingly, once done merge the layers. Don't forget to make sure they're lined up correctly etc

EDIT: reread first post :) You can do the same with a oval shape too :)

Image attached. I put the red/blue layer on top but it ca be done either way :)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2
Thanks peeps.
It's taken me a while to get back to this thread, too much drinking got in the way I think, but thank you all for your responses.

Yeah what i was after was levi's second pic but wih the semi cricle inverted upwards into the rectangle. What I ended up going with was levi's second image. I created it via a circle and moved the circle over the rectangle, gave both the same background colour then grouped them and applied a glow effect to it which got me a result I'm happy with.

If some 1 would like to tell me how to do Levi's second image but have it so the semicircle is inverted, that being that the semi-circle goes into the rectangle that would be great as I hate things that beat me.

Jaz

2.jpg

Like this one?

Jazajay said:
Thanks peeps.
If some 1 would like to tell me how to do Levi's second image but have it so the semicircle is inverted, that being that the semi-circle goes into the rectangle that would be great as I hate things that beat me.

Make a rasterised square/rectangle then draw guidelines around the shape. Ensure you have snap to guidelines active.

Using the elliptical mask drag to the same width etc as required (hold shift for circle) using the guidelines as an edge.

Move the mask so that its mid point is on the base of the square (part of the reasons for the guidelines) then ensure the square layer is selected and press delete.

If you want the half circle a different colour, you can have a full second layer underneath to show the colour or you can do invert the circular mask on the second layer and then press delete to remove the outside.

That should do the trick for you Jaz

i think he dont need to rasterized the objects... he can keep the vector shapes and work with Object / Combine Paths...

and i really didnt understood what was the shape he want :D ROFL

Are thanks guys if I need to ever do it I'll refer to this post.
The image is pretty much Darren's first 1, cheers Darren.
The yellow semi circle would be the bit of the rectangle I would have wanted removed.

Jaz

Back