Using keyword URLs

Hello everyone,

Have any of you had experience of implementing a keyword URL successfully?

I have a website that is the company name and in addition what I think are great keyword URLs relevant to my business and location. I bought the URLs a year ago and they've never been listed on the search engines.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil,

Just to clarify, you have a web site with a domain name that currently ranks in the search engines, and you want to change the domain used, to one which is more keyword accurate to the website in question. is that correct?

Hi Phil,

If you simply forward all traffic that you keyword rich URL get to your main website your not going to get any SEO benefit. You could change the primary domain name, BUT! 9 times out of 10 its not in the best interests to change the domain name on the ranking website either.

I would suggest your best course of action would be to create micro-sites per keyword rich domain which have specific content to them and which link to your primary website.

This over a period of time will at least give you some value from these otherwise useless domains.

I hope this helps.

Are these other domains you have really strong?

Agree with the suggestions from Sunburn, but to justify the work they would have to be pretty impressive and promise some decent traffic over time.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

Well the keyword url is good, but tied to a small city and using google keyword tools as a measure for search data probably not worth investing the time in creating unique content for it.

If you want to get more traffic for that term you could do it by adding content to your existing site too?

Using URL in domain name has a excellent idea. It help in ranking a lot! But make sure you know the purpose of your website before taking any decision.

The time a domain has been around also affects google PR so changing to a new one wont help at first - the forwarding is a better one to start with. Or you could consider Cname alias.

Careful. There's a plethora of available keyword-rich URLs out there. Remember that 90% of SEO is off-site optimization.

Back