Uses of public domain / vintage illustrations in modern designs

PistolPete

I was poking around the interweb for some inspiration & I came across this poster for an OCMS gig.

I rather like the way it incorporates (what I assume is) a genuine old illustration into a modern design. I wondered if you guys had other examples of good designs where a vintage illustration has been used to great effect outside of it's original purpose?

OldCrow_Nashville.jpg

Since I don't seem to be able to edit the original post to fix the dead link this is the poster I was originally talking about

Attachments

• ocms.jpg
    ocms.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 5
This is one I came up with mucking around to try and achieve something similar

Attachments

• fiddle small.jpg
    fiddle small.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 6
Cool! Like the mis-registration. :D

I must have a word with my printer about his sloppy work :LOL:

Thanks for the links to the vector sites - it is very much the sort of stuff I'm into. The fiddle came from this ad which was on thegraphicsfairy.com

Attachments

• 1violin004.jpg
    1violin004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4
I like that kind of stuff too. :D

Something that might be of use to you is a Photoshop plug-in/filter called Engraver 3.

It makes Etchings/engravings of photos that look like of bank notes and looks great.
I think there's also a manual way of doing it which is on Chris Spooners blog in the form of a tutorial.

Ah yes, I'd found the Spoon Graphics tutorial - he also has a Photoshop action you can download that performs all the steps for you. I used it on this revolver that turned up in a T-shirt design you helped me with a couple of weeks back :ROFLMAO:

western revolver engraving1.png

Sweet!

That looks great! :D
Engraver 3 is good because you can customise it really easily but nothing you can't achieve yourself (as you've shown).

I also found that an image trace in Illustrator works quite well on these if you need to have it as a vector.

Back