Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Drive problems

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by chrismitchell, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Don't really know where to post this thread to be honest so thought I would put it here..

I have a USB drive and it has a partition which is write protected. I just need to format the whole drive so it can be used for other things. There is no write protect switch on it or anything like that. I've tried doing the whole Computer Management route but it gives me the same problem and I have also tried formatting it in DOS. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to format this drive?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I think you have to log in or delete the write protection app which is on the stick. Thats all I did when I had one and it formatted fine.

3. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

I would normally go into my computer, right click on it and click format. that usually works for me.

4. unfortunately the my computer format doesn't work because it has been write protected.

I will look into the log in / delete the write protection app on the stick as that seems to be a way around it hopefully :)

5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

make sure you have show hidden files active (I do that as standard) as some files might be hidden :)

6. done the show hidden files and they are also locked... its something to do with the way they were put on the USB drive.. It was for a congress done in 2009 and it was supplied with the details on the USB disk. I've had to talk to the manufacturer to find out how to break it. :lol: