url acquiring

Renniks

Anyone know the situation with acquiring a site that links to one of those directory sites where it says 'it might be for sale' or something of similar affect?

Also good ways to find urls that aren't taken already?

Finding it difficult to think of a profile name that isnt taken or linked to something already. -.-

:)

You mean purchasing a domain that's already owned? You'll find the majority of names that are for sale will be held by domain squatters and they'll want extortionate prices for them to be honest. You could always check on a domain name market site like Sedo, which is one of the biggest.

Yep, well basically Sedo allows buyers and sellers to complete domain transactions without ever knowing who the other party is, it also protects both by using Escrow for payments. All you can do when they have no set price is make an offer, I think the min. offer on Sedo is £60, and then they will most likely send a counter offer back. The other thing to know is that once the seller has received an offer they can either counter, accept or put the domain to a Sedo auction, where anyone can see the current bid and place their bids.

The other option is to try and contact the owner direct, if you check the WHOIS for the domain you can sometimes get their contact details (depends if they have paid for WHOIS protect to hide their info from the registrar). In the case of the domain you mentioned, it isn't hidden, and the details are listed as...

pillay samoo, kayssaven [email protected]
internet sense
clairfonds 3
vacoas, pl wilhems 00230
MU

Hope that helps,
Greg

Thanks for that :) wasnt sure what the procedure was with these, will attempt to avoid them :D haha, not in a situation where I need to pay extra for domains

Fair enough, and yes they can be very expensive, just depends how good the domains is and how much you need/want it :)

alot of the time they are just ideas of mine (example was my name haha)

it just seems that there are so many domain sitters out there that domains will soon become horrific :(

Ohh yeah, there's sooo many domains that have been registered with the intent to sell on, or people not developing on them for whatever reason or just simply forgetting they have them! It can be really frustrating! Good luck in tracking something good down.

I bought fartbox.co.uk a couple of weeks ago for £6.58 for 2 years.
No idea what to do with it but thought it was a bargain.

Lol that is different.

I was thinking of making some sort of social/politics based application to go on facebook but have a few things to finish before I start something else.

NE14HOCKEY said:
I bought fartbox.co.uk a couple of weeks ago for £6.58 for 2 years.
No idea what to do with it but thought it was a bargain.

I will give you an offer you can refuse................(a box filled with fart gas) Godfather:D

Back