Upgrading from Mac OS 10.5.8 . . .

Hippychick

I know, it's old – but I had put my MacBook away cos I've got new kit and now I need it for a course I'm doing. I tried installing Sierra on it but it said it could only upgrade from 10.7 or later. Anyone know how I can get this baby's OS up to date? I figured I'd have to do in stages with a number of upgrades to current, but there are so many I could be trying & failing for hours.

You probably need to update the whole Macbook to a newer model. A mid 2010 or later Macbook pro is required to run Sierra. Older models just don't have the hardware required to run newer operating systems.

You probably need to update the whole Macbook to a newer model. A mid 2010 or later Macbook pro is required to run Sierra. Older models just don't have the hardware required to run newer operating systems.
Oh what a shit world. I figured the gubbins would be inadequate, but as there's hardly anything on it, I thought at least it could accommodate a fat installer & I could get to 10.7 or 10.8. But I guess I should just be grateful it's still super zippy despite being 7 years old (to me, though I think it's actually 8 years old), & digital tech is moving so fast now the waste is sad – & I already had an attic 'graveyard' full of redundant hardware gathered over just a few years & don't wish to start a new one. But thanks for advice.

There's unofficial patches floating around that might let you trick you machine into installing a newer OS, but I wouldn't risk it myself. It's also extremely likely that even if you did get the OS working, modern apps just wouldn't run due to lack of memory, or would just chug along and be practically unusable.

There's unofficial patches floating around that might let you trick you machine into installing a newer OS, but I wouldn't risk it myself. It's also extremely likely that even if you did get the OS working, modern apps just wouldn't run due to lack of memory, or would just chug along and be practically unusable.
:confused:;);) . . . I have just decided that it's a spare to use for the software on it & not an 'internet Mac'. I tested it last night for speed & I can still do my funky Photoshop stuff on it & use as glorified typewriter.:cool:

Back