Upgrade to CS5?

Evening folks.

Toying with upgrading to CS5 - what are your thoughts?

I'm currently running CS4 for print design; Illustrator, Photoshop and Bridge mainly to produce vector artworks and image retouching/montaging, as well as to navigate my file system. I find CS4 quite stable on the whole, although Bridge sometimes complains when the cache gets too big, and Photoshop seems to be the source of the swapfile getting extremely big (5GB on one occasion, after a pretty intensive session) and nearly 3 million page-ins - needing a restart to recover memory.

Apart from these problems I'm pretty happy with it, and wondering if CS5 is worth the upgrade for mac? Yes, I've read all about it, just wondering what your thoughts were!

I upgraded towards the end of last year, but that was from CS3 so can't really say how much of an upgrade it would be from CS4. From CS3 though i'd say it was well worth it. I mainly use Illustrator & Photoshop, and the new tools, brushes, etc in CS5 are fantastic. That's probably not much help, sorry:)

I personally prefer cs4 to cs5 because adobe seem to have forgotten about those of us who want to print stuff, in favour of making sure every program within the suite is capable if publishing a website and a virtual reality flash film.

I do however have cs5 on my home machine (I paid for it so I'll bloody use it).

some of cs5 is 64bit (finally) on mac so can make use of more memory. It also has some nice features like the rotating 'paper' and the content aware scaling bits for when you work but in most general terms there isn't a great deal of change between cs4 and cs5 in my opinion.

If you're on windows you've had 64bit photoshop since cs4

I'm on a Mac Levi (2.16Ghz dual core MacBook Pro with 3Gb RAM). The memory improvement would be good for this little laptop that spins the beachball if I'm working on large files at times.

Cheers all, I'll take another look at the Adobe site.

I think CS5.5 is about to come out soon - look out for that as it will have some new features compared to CS5

leelovesbikestoo said:
I'm on a Mac Levi (2.16Ghz dual core MacBook Pro with 3Gb RAM). The memory improvement would be good for this little laptop that spins the beachball if I'm working on large files at times.

Cheers all, I'll take another look at the Adobe site.

That beachball is called a SPONG.

So I'm led to believe.:rolleyes:

I used the trail version of CS5 when it was first released and it was really slow on my Mac - there was noticeable delay on moving my cursor in Photoshop CS5.

Since then I've continued to use CS4 although I'll probably buy CS5 when I upgrade my Mac as I'd love to make use of the 3D features in the latest Photoshop.

Back