Updated Portfolio. Comments Please

Hi,

I know you posted on the design forums (this is better!) I didn't post on there, was just browsing so here it goes.
The site itself I don't like it looks too much like a theme, it may be one I don't know, but if you offer web design why use a theme?
It just doesn't look like a good way of showing your work and showing your services, and is quite slow as well.

It just looks more like a tutorial site than anything else, sorry.

Im new to all this so take it easy on me.

No.

No offense but so are a lot of people, me being one of them, its pointless saying things look good when they don't.

Thanks for the comments. I seem to be getting a lot of comments about the actually choice of going with wordpress as a base for my portfolio when it is my actual work that i wanted some feedback on. A lot of people are commenting poitively on my work but not my choice of portfolio presentation.

I am thinking that a change of structure would benefit me in presenting my work a little better.

Thanks for your feedback.

Use wordpress as CMS, but not just as a blog, if you see what I mean.

You're right it does need to be structured differently.

They look great! But they to me just look like photoshop tutorials that you have followed and haven't thought about or had any sort of ideas about what to do.

For sure use the tutorials to build up your knowledge but you then have to apply them to something. Its one thing being able to do all of this stuff, its another putting it into good effect.

Well i appreciate your feedback thats for sure but I can asure you that there is a process i follow everytime i produce a piece of work and it is not just a case of following tutorials. Yes tutorials can be inspiring and useful in many ways but certainly not to just replicate and pass off as your own.

Many of the pieces are of personal significance, something of which many other designers have.

It is maybe the scene that these images are set that influences your views on them being tutorials.

Thanks though once again.

Hi Nickio,

Just one extra comment that I think would improve your portfolio: make sure that you check the spelling and grammar of your copy. What you say is interesting, but in order to look professional and win work, it needs to be correct as well

:)

I think it looks ok. The portfolio doesn't really stand out from the crowd, but with changes to your structure, i'm sure it can be great.

As for the artwork, I see this sort of stuff all the time, being part of the deviantart community. All of my art is photo-manipulations (my graphic design isn't) so i appreciate the hardwork and effort that goes into it. So great job :)

I like the artwork Nickio, I know that loads of people do similar sorts of things but I still like what you've done. Afterbeat and Freedom are my favorites. On the Freedom one though why did you uses 3 images of earth? Maybe if you use images of other 2 planets the "escape the boundaries" would have more impact?

Nice one though I was impressed!

Joe

I agree with the other comments. Nice work, but the site takes over from it. If you were presenting this the old fashioned way, you'd probably use a black portfolio case, maybe with white frames on the work. You wouldn't stick pictures of clouds all over it and a random globe graphic with speakers on the corner. Let the work speak for itself. Take a look around the net at really top photographers and artists and see how they present their stuff. They're nearly all done in a really minimal way, and I think it's even more important with your work because the images are quite complex.

Sound cheers Mark I see what you mean, distracting people from the work is the last thing I want, it's good to get fresh eyes on it and to hear everyone's opinion, it can only make it better and I feel like i'm learning a lot! :icon_smile:

Some sound advice Mark. Most appreciated. I have since gone back to the drawing board with the portfolio design and have recently uploading my new layout which I think is how my work should be represented in order to achieve the maximum impact I can.

I hope you can all express some opinion on the new design and let me know what you think. I have have a more diverse range of work now which adds some much needed strength to my site as a whole.

If you get work from directing people to your portfolio then it works in my eyes!
Great folio keep it up, don't listen to the keyboard warriors

Phil

Thanks Phil! Your comments mean alot especially coming from someone with the extreme talents you have. Just had a look at your portfolio. Love your work!

Back