Updated Logo/Identity

Dave1975

Hi everyone,

Over the past few years I've had a number of different logo versions for my freelance site and work, none of which I've ever been really happy with. I think I had always planned to move my work onto a company name, and was just waiting for the right name to appear. After many ideas on different company names, logo designs for those, and even some as far as purchasing relevant domain names, I just never felt comfortable to move on with a new name.

It's for this reason that I've decided to finally get my own logo/branding sorted! (and a new website to match in the next month). So here's my new/updated logo and branding as shown on a business card, would love to hear what you think and get your feedback :up:

newlogo.png

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Greg

Hi Greg,

I much prefer the new logo definately. I like the type used and the greys work well, personally on sure on the gf in the square I think this could be evolved a bit, maybe the gf larger and slightly offset to the left so that the bottom of the g bleeds off the blue square?

The business card lets you down a bit at the mo IMO I can't put my finger on why exactly... I think its that it looks a bit too clean, I think I get the minimalistic, simple style your going for but don't think its quiet working.... it could be the combination of colours being a little to basic I think making it seem young rather than sophisticated.

I hope that's helpfull.... looks like its coming along nicely and will be a good improvement!

tbwcf said:
I much prefer the new logo definately. I like the type used and the greys work well, personally on sure on the gf in the square I think this could be evolved a bit, maybe the gf larger and slightly offset to the left so that the bottom of the g bleeds off the blue square?

Hi tbwcf,

Thanks for the feedback :up:

I tried a few versions of the gf running off the blue square, and in different sizes positions, and whilst I quite like them, I think I still prefer the centered version. What do you think?

newlogo2.png

I think seeing the g run off the bottom of the square reminds me of the Guardian logo as makemassair mentioned. I'll work on the stationery once I have the new logo finalized, think I was in a rush to see the new type logo in action :D

Thanks for the feedback guys!! much appreciated!
Greg

Nice.

One question though, more a thought actually: why not go with a ligatured fi? I can see it doesn't necessarily need it when the logo's big cos of the kerning you've got. But the version in your url on the card looks as though it definitely needs an fi ligature.

It's a difficult one. I guess what I'm saying is that the logo is really well kerned when viewed large format, but that same kerning doesn't work so well for smaller body text.

Anti-aliasing on computer monitors isn't doing that any favours though; it may be ok when printed. So feel free to ignore this.

Hi Matt,

I did try an fi combination, but since you've suggested it will re-visit this idea as I think you're right, the spacing on the f and i does look a bit awkward.

The print outs do it more justice as you mentioned, with the stationery aside, most people will first see the logo on my website I need to get it looking better on screen I think. Will post up my amended versions shortly, along with a few other colour options I've been experimenting with.

Thanks for the feedback!
Greg

Hi Greg, good to see those designs, I think you're probably right that the original works better!

tbwcf said:
Hi Greg, good to see those designs, I think you're probably right that the original works better!

Thanks tbwcf, I'm just experimenting with some other colour options, so will no doubt re-post later today, thanks for your feedback.

Greg, Hi - I am a new user to this website and came across your post.

I have spent many years in branding and my advice to you is not to confuse a logo as THE brand. A brand is the overall essence that a company wants to portray to an external audience, from how the receptionist answers the phone to the tone of voice on any documentation. Virgin is a great example of this, everything the company does is an extention of how Richard Branson comes across.

This may not help much but I wanted to explain the difference between the two.

regards
Andrew

Thanks Andrew, and welcome to Design Forums!

Sorry, I have incorrectly used the word branding in my posts in this thread, I should have said my new logo and identity! Thanks for pointing out the differences between them, and you're quite right, this same point actually popped up on another thread you may want to take a look at too - http://www.designforums.co.uk/logos-identity-branding/20-greatest-logo-all-time.html

Thanks,
Greg

PS- I've changed the thread title to fix my error ;)

I really like it Greg, a lot more than you're current one.

nice work.

Thanks Lee :)

I've worked up a few new concepts (my favourite posted below) inspired by the feedback I've received here, I hope you all think it's an improvement, I'm pleased with it, but do have one small concern. Do you think the 3 rounded corners/1 squared corner is a bit overdone/out-dated now?

gregcard.png

I like the idea of a cut out card that would be really cool and your card would defo stand out, just means you have to fork out for the die to be made, from my experience £100 ish then a small amount for them to be cut out... cards could still be printed digitally so nice and cheap then get them to supply the untrimmed sheets to the die cutters...

...speak to Neil, he'll be able to advise best on costs!

tbwcf said:
means you have to fork out for the die to be made, from my experience £100 ish then a small amount for them to be cut out...

Thanks tbwcf, I was wondering how expensive that would work out, do you think if I was to stay with a regular printers they would be able to re-use the die so it would bring the cost down for future orders

tbwcf said:
...speak to Neil, he'll be able to advise best on costs!

Thanks, will drop him a PM and see if he can give me an idea on that :)

P.S looks like your intentions are to just cut around the outer edge of the g - why not go for the inner circles and sqiggle bit at the edge of the card too...

I was worried it would be a bit too much... and maybe cause those points to be quite weak and easily tear/rip?

Greg said:
Thanks tbwcf, I was wondering how expensive that would work out, do you think if I was to stay with a regular printers they would be able to re-use the die so it would bring the cost down for future orders

They should do yes! they tend to keep them on file - worst case sure Neil or whatever printer you choose to use could keep hold of it for you

Greg said:
I was worried it would be a bit too much... and maybe cause those points to be quite weak and easily tear/rip?
Really depends how wide those areas are and how thick the stock is I guess...

Glad I could help!

Back