Update of kenreynoldsdesign.co.uk - Feedback welcomed

Krey20

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted, but I've lurked around a lot. Great to see so many new members around the boards.

I recently updated my freelance design website. It used to be driven by my blog. I decided to take a step back from blogging, as I felt that I'd said as much as I wanted to, and the articles I published over a two year span set out my design principles pretty clearly. I'm not a fan of repetition.

For this reason I've decided to go back to a more business focused website, displaying my work in a new way (for me at least) and trying to drive a few more enquiries my way.
The blog is still there in the background, where I will continue with my design web comic, and use it as a news feed primarily.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the site.

Thanks once again go to Andy Kleeman (TBWCF) who coded for me. He has had to put up with my perfectionism.

I like it. Nice and clean, especially the top half. Lower down feels a little 'rushed' though, the I'm not a big fan of the orange seperating line, I can see why it's there but I feel it could be achieved a little better, however it's not a biggie.

I'd say definitely add some more padding to the footer, it's very tight at the moment and feels cramped. Add a little more padding to the top, and quite a lot to the bottom.

The only other thing I'd say is, why is 'Stop Shuffling... Just Deal.' & 'Get In Touch, Discuss your needs today' an image and not text (using @font-face to import)?

Looking a little deeper, I'm surprised sIFR is being used, when @font-face is widely supported.

Just my thoughts, but on the whole I like it, not too much of a change from before but it looks clean, your brand is good as expected and is presented well. I also like the rounded corner top left.

Cheers for commenting Fred.

I see your point with the seperating line, but it's a device I like to use to try and break up the information. Without anything at all I think the info would feel a little too 'floaty' for my liking. I guess it's a preference thing. I'll have a think about it to see if there is a better way.

I have no idea why the 'stop shuffling etc' text is coded in the way it is? Hopefully Andy might contribute to answer that one?

Like I said its not a massive shift from what I had before, but I wanted to re-direct the purpose of the site, hopefully it will be successful.

Fred said:
Looking a little deeper, I'm surprised sIFR is being used, when @font-face is widely supported.
This bothers me too. I'd have Andy look into it.

Wouldn't call it much of a redesign from the previous. More of an update.
The site could use some more padding at the top and bottom like Fred mentioned.

Fred said:
The only other thing I'd say is, why is 'Stop Shuffling... Just Deal.' & 'Get In Touch, Discuss your needs today' an image and not text (using @font-face to import)?

The image has alt text so this is not really relevant. It's still accessible - it enlarges clearly and I doubt there'd be many, if any users to the site that would have issues reading it.

The site uses sIFR as when it was built a couple of years ago @font-face wasn't widely used and sIFR also avoids licensing issues. It falls back to helvetica/arial for devices that don't support flash so its never been an issue.

A quick google does kick up a version of the font as @font-face so if the license allows I'll look into updating it.

Fair play. I understand updates can be extra hassle, it's just something that jumped out to me that could be updated.

Back