under selling myself or not?

mick_mccabe

Hi folks,
ive recently designed the logo for the dance studio, and they also want the usual stationary, leeterheads, biz cards, comp slips. i was thinking £125 for the lot. does antone think this is too low or high?

cheers
mick

That does seem cheap Mick. Do you have an hourly rate or working to a fixed budget?
Up yer prices.

Also I love your Scarface Leeterheads...say hello to my little leeterhead!

If you are building up your experience and adding 'live' print jobs to your portfolio then that's fine.
However if you are running a business and this is your 'job' then the charge is low.

Also if it's a guvvy job on top of your normal job....well it's just extra cash to buy goodies.
The client will be happy getting a cheap (but high quality product) and may require further work or recommend you to others.

Depends how you look at it. Sometimes the client has a set budget. It's very easy to both undercharge and overcharge (in which you lose the work). Talk to the customer.
You are not a charity.

Depends on how much research needs done, design iterations, amount of contact/travelling required, stock imagery/illustrations etc.

I usually go with £100 for a fixed logo project with additional work at a discount, or £30/hour for ongoing work. It's best to get a fee agreed before starting any work to prevent any surprises after you've invested time in a project!

Are you arranging printing of the stationery? You can always build in a little extra if you get a good print quote to cover a marked down design fee.

Its for a my girlfriends mate, this is just freelance work for me on top of my current job. i usually charge £25per hour, but ive started to get abit more freelance work these days, i will aslo be doing flyers, posters and banners in the same style of image attached minus the text, as this was a personal peice

Attachments

• bringthe beat_upload.jpg
    bringthe beat_upload.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 49
i work in ayr mate for minuteman press as there graphic designer, its my 1st gig as a designer. need to build up my experience. because it was my catch 22!! you have skills but ni experience. hair pulling stuff mate. i just freelance in my spare time for some xtra cash, i dont hav a studio, but maybe one day i will.....fingers crossed

mick_mccabe said:
i work in ayr mate for minuteman press as there graphic designer, its my 1st gig as a designer. need to build up my experience. because it was my catch 22!! you have skills but ni experience. hair pulling stuff mate. i just freelance in my spare time for some xtra cash, i dont hav a studio, but maybe one day i will.....fingers crossed

Yep, been there mysel! A few lucky breaks, return clients, jobsagoodun.

I don't have a studio, but I have a nice sized dining table and a well-stocked kitchen next door. Happy days!

I think it's more important to build up your approach and thinking patterns, in order to produce good design rather than being restricted by time or cost. That way you'll develop a good quality portfolio that clients will pay good money for. Also, don't be afraid of redesigning existing things for your own amusement to add bulk to your folio.

haha happy days indeed. yip my portfolio will be taken apart after xmas, ive got my eye on nice new leather portfolio which aint cheap, but it looks a hell of alot better presentation wise than the student type folio ive got at the mo. i think my revamp portfolio will consist of ten strong pieces i think. less is more in my opinion.

yeah i had looked at them, the one ive got my eye on is £80 leather bound portfolio. it looks good u can get it embossed but the price shoots right up

Cool, yeah I like the portfolio boxes as they lay flat on the table when you go to present your work, and there's no awkward spinning the folder round to show people, you can just take the individual pieces of work out to pass around :)

Or try making your own portfolio.Cheaper and unique!

I made mine out of lots of mounting board and double sided tape for the covers with I then covered with some lovely oriental fabric and used wadding to stuff it. It looks really plush but didn't cost that much. I've used cord to bind it so I can take it apart and change the work in there but have done it in a way that means you can't see the binding, just shiny padded covers. The only down side is I keep the file samples separately in a custom made giant envelope/box but it's not a big problem as I keep all the work from different clients separated with bits of card and keep it in the order the work appears in my portfolio.

I think normally the price you quoted for that work would be cheap but I think it's sensible as it's mate's rates and you get to put some cool work in your portfolio. Hang on in there with the job - I was also stuck at a printers in my first design job. I just wish I'd learn a lot sooner that design jobs don't need to be like that and one day you will get something you enjoy!

125 is way to cheap, even for a friend of a girlfriend. I think it would take 2 to 3 days to come up with a really good concept/artwork for a company, logo, cards etc and that would pay about 8 quid an hour minus tax etc your looking at around 5 quid an hour, is it worth it?

hi andy you can see more of my work on behance page Michael McCabe on the Behance Network check it out if you get a chance

Jeff mate it is worth it i have creative free range, im waitin on gettin some info off them for the posters anb banners etc. thats where i can spread my wings, good project for my folio

Back