UK Counties posters

lukaskoudelka

Hi everyone.
It's been a couple of weeks I set up a website with my posters of UK Counties and a couple of English maps. The story is real, I needed some kind of map to tick the places I've visited but I've started to be keen on making them.
I'd love to hear what do you think about the design of these posters or about the website.
More on mysimpledesign.co.uk
Thanks,
Lukas xxx

Attachments

• isleofwight2.jpg
    isleofwight2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 78
  • somerset2.jpg
    somerset2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 91
  • cornwall2.jpg
    cornwall2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 83
  • map7.jpg
    map7.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 65
Hi, they look ok but far too minimalist for me. I would want a fair bit more detail if I was putting those on my wall.

I quite like the minimalist style to be honest with you. I'm wondering if you could perhaps add another layer of detail, it does feel like it's missing something.
Your website is okay, can't spot anything particularly wrong, I would say the design is a little boring and a little cramped. It works as a website site though and certainly isn't the worst I've seen! :)

^^^^ Good point about the extra detail.^^^^
Maybe a minimalistic take on those old sea charts "Here be monsters" kinda thing?
Like the background of the distressed wood.

I think something like that would work perfectly Scotty!

Something like a Levi-athan.
leviathan_wallpaper_1920.jpg

I like the design of these, but I agree with everyone else that something is missing. I really think it's just a matter of a LITTLE bit of depth. Look at Brad Woodward's work and how he incorporates subtle texture into his pieces. It might be just the little thing you need. :)

I actually like the white backgrounds. I'm referring to adding some sort of subtle texture to the edges of the countries. :)

Thank you guys so much. It's nice to hear some comments. Yeah, I'm wondering to, something little is missing...but gonna have to find out what. :)
balders said:
Was the map a stock image or did you put it together your self?
Well I used a background jpeg of Counties obviously but the rest I did by hand.

lukaskoudelka said:
Hi everyone.
It's been a couple of weeks I set up a website with my posters of UK Counties and a couple of English maps. The story is real, I needed some kind of map to tick the places I've visited but I've started to be keen on making them.
I'd love to hear what do you think about the design of these posters or about the website.
More on mysimpledesign.co.uk
Thanks,
Lukas xxx
I'm a bit of a minimalist myself, so I can really appreciate these. But, like others have mentioned, maybe something missing.
Hows about some really subtle Longitude / Latitude lines (i know you wouldn't pick up on the curves etc) that sit behind the map section and runn the whole white space behind??
Or maybe just a simple grid to represent OS. I'm only talking REALLY subtle with this, maybe 0.25pt stroke or .5. Maybe the lines run throug the map section in white??
As an extra point, if your keeping minimal, I think some extra room around the outer of everything would add a further element of luxury to the designs. Just a touch more room for it all to breath.

I agree with shaunlynn. If you add a textured layer and a very subtle gradient at the land's edges you are going to have an excellent, refined work. In spite of the Metro UI, graphic design is clearly moving towards a less polished style. You have a great design, it doesn't need a lot of work.

Thanks for sharing your work. For what it's worth (althought I know it was a few months ago) I love the colourful poster of the UK: very eye catching. I think that the other posters possibly lack detail. They just need something ‘extra’ the UK map is spot on though.

Lukas I have removed the other thread asking for feedback because it was not necessary, feedback is already being left here.

Yeah. Would love to see what progress you made with this.

Back