Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

typography in childrens books

Discussion in 'Font Forum:' started by lolabiscuit, Jan 12, 2010.

1. lolabiscuit

lolabiscuit Junior Member

hi i was just wondering what you thought as the best dort of font for a childrens book? or if you thought any were beneficial to a child learning to read
  2. tim

tim Senior Member

it depends on the context of it all

how many words are there on a page?

thin or thick font?

age range?

my mom was once a teacher and she used arial and comic sans (although i hate to say it) in size 32 upwards or something like that.
  3. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Something big and clear with a reasonable weight - Helvetica Rounded or VAG Rounded might work nice, clear yet the rounded makes it a little more 'friendly'
  4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

you want to get hold of sassoon primary (infant and type), it's what is used in most primary schools. I'm forever having to knock out quick posters etc for my Mum using the font as she's sen at a school. :)

As mentioned by tim, comic sans is also used a fair bit but luckily I don't have to as I've got sassoon :)
  5. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Depending on the amount of copy I quite like to hand do the text.
    Yes it can take a bit of time but it's much better for putting life into the words.
    Give it a go.
  6. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Comic Sans!!

No seriously though, don't use comic sans.
  7. Harry

Harry Senior Member

8. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

Levi is spot on with that font (sassoon primary ), its used extensively within the younger age groups, in books and all sorts of reading materials.
  9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I've always had a soft spot for arial rounded
  10. mike_watts

mike_watts Member

Lucy Cousins who does the Maisy books created her own font from her own handwriting (it's registered to her too) but as Harry said large clear sans like the Mr Men books