Typing on a PDF !?

Hi Guys,

Hope all are well and keeping busy. I have a customer that i have done lots of work for in the past (design and print work).

Recently i have done some Letterheads for this customer and he has asked me a question. Would i be able to supply him with the artwork so that he can type over the top to send quotes via email?

Is this possible?

The customer is not very computer literate and only really knows how to use Word and Google! At the moment he uses Microsoft Word to create his quotes etc... so ideally he would like to open the artwork in there and be able to type over the top!.....

Iv'e tried to open Photoshop PDF files in word but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Kindest Regards

Chris Lambe
Director

CTL Designs

I've heard that you can made PDF files with interactive text boxes, but I've never done it. Alternatively couldn't you just send the customer a Word document with the letterhead as an image set behind the text?

On windows you can do this with adobe livecycle (part of cs and just plain old acrobat iirc), I've done it once or twice and it just seemed long winded for my needs at the time. Also couldn't do formula's

I'd actually say that doing a word 'template' would be the easiest option (although even this has issues at times) as you can still add in thing's like formula's and the likes - this is actually how I've got my quotes set up, spreadheet embedded in a word doc with all the formula's set up so I don't need to deal with anything apart from saying who it's for etc.

I have done this before, you have to create your PDF, then in acrobat set up 'forms' it's a bit fiddly and you have a lot of options but as long as you choose to manually sort your results then you will be fine. The guy on the other end will need adobe reader though!

Sam's right, Acrobat is the way to do this, then when you save it the PDF will have editable regions that the client can fill in. Make sure you make the document modifiable within Acrobat or the client won't be able to save it, just print.

Jimlad said:
I've heard that you can made PDF files with interactive text boxes, but I've never done it. Alternatively couldn't you just send the customer a Word document with the letterhead as an image set behind the text?

You can do this using InDesign should be included in Adobes Master Collection so when you export it to PDF you can type in the boxes simple enough for a novice. :)

I'd double check how your client would prefer it. Does the layout of your letterheads allow you to just place all of the design elements within the 'Headers/ Footers' section on Word? If so I think this would be the most hassle free option, as these elements are locked out in standard view so no danger of your client accidentally moving them, but he still gets to enter the content in the body text as usual.

Back