Type Hierarchy/Scale Calculator for iPhone

Digger675

Hi,

I thought you lovely designy folk might be interested in this iPhone app.

Abaci is a text scale (hierarchy) calculator for designers and developers. Whether it’s pixels or points, you can calculate the appropriate ratio of heading sizes based on one initial size. Calculations are based on the famous Fibonacci sequence, seen in architecture, nature, art…and design!

App Store link

5bb4aea5-1e16-4d41-a013-2eca3613ea64.jpg

Am I missing something? How does a style guide on my phone help when I'm busy working with a ginormous screen in front of me?

In any case, only a complete numpty would be using pixel or point sizes on a website.

And H5 is not the body copy size. H5 is a heading.

Well I have no use for it either, I just go by what looks right when I look at it.

Mind you I don't have an iPhone so wouldn't have access to it anyway, not that it's something I'd pay $0.99 for either way.

I just go with what looks good.
For experienced designers such as yourself you can probably get away with that. Whatever works for you! The app was built more for those new to the field or with only rudimentary skills (desktop publishers, marketing assistants etc) as a tool they could use to get a starting point for pleasant type hierarchy. Or anyone that just likes working from a sound foundation and then tweaking to suit.

Am I missing something? How does a style guide on my phone help when I'm busy working with a ginormous screen in front of me? In any case, only a complete numpty would be using pixel or point sizes on a website. And H5 is not the body copy size. H5 is a heading.
Maybe it's just me but I'm forever doing things on my phone while working at a big screen also. Quick access to an app and something to refer to that's not interfering with the work you're typesetting on screen. The app is for print and digital (hence points and pixels) -- needed to keep things fairly generic with its terminology but the logic applies to any measurement system. And yes, the 6 text sizes shown all use the prefix 'H' as it was the most flexible -- body can sometimes be the smallest size someone needs to set but there can be smaller sizes down from that also as I'm sure you're aware. (The app allows you to select any heading size as the primary, from which all other 5 sizes are calculated). What measurement units would you prefer shown just out of curiousity?

Well I have no use for it either, I just go by what looks right when I look at it.
Mind you I don't have an iPhone so wouldn't have access to it anyway, not that it's something I'd pay $0.99 for either way.
See my response to hankscorpio above. An android version is on the cards though. What would you be willing to pay for it, or would you prefer a free ad-supported version?

See my response to hankscorpio above. An android version is on the cards though. What would you be willing to pay for it, or would you prefer a free ad-supported version?
Neither, I hate adverts (even more so if I can't remove them as is the case with most android apps) and I wouldn't be willing to pay for it when I have no need for it.

Back