Two Domains on one host... possible?

yoodooright

Hi,

I have webhosting with Open Mind, the package i have is:

Hosting Package: Linux Shared Hosting - Home

I have two domain names registered for two seperate business outlets (one a personal design portfolio, another for a band website) and was wandering how i go about using the same hosting package for both websites and if it is at all possible?

Any help would be great.

YDR.

It is possible and there are many ways to do it, but not the best idea as you would have to have them in sub-directories and is just messy. Better taking another Home package out for the second site.

The best way I can think of is to "park" the second domain on top of the first and then have a index.php file in the root that redirects to a sub-folder containing the site. Bascially you would do this..

www.mydomain.com and www.mydomain2.com would both point to the same webspace so in that webspace you would have an index.php file. That means that

www.mydomain.com
www.mydomain2.com

both load the same index.php file

now in this index.php file you want to basically code.... (psuedo code)

if URL = www.mydomain.com then 301 redirect to www.mydomain.com/site1/
if URL = www.mydomain2.com then 301 redirect to www.mydomain2.com /site2/

You can also handle this with the .htaccess file which is much cleaner.

Hi YDR,

If this will be the first of several client websites it may be worth looking at reseller options for hosting as this will give you full control over multiple hosting accounts, this will push the costs up but in the long run if you're planning on hosting clients sites you should be able to easily cover the costs and perhaps make a small markup for the management service.

Thanks,
Greg

Darren I think the op has a package that supports 2 domain names so wouldn't need to add another hosting package.

I would say contact the host or check the faq's but I can't give any more direction as 1 I'm not with them and 2 I only host 1 site :)

Levi said:
Darren I think the op has a package that supports 2 domain names so wouldn't need to add another hosting package.

I would say contact the host or check the faq's but I can't give any more direction as 1 I'm not with them and 2 I only host 1 site :)

The second Domain is the one your allowed to "Park". Both point to the same root directory.

A single hosting package is a single hosting package and has one root directory.

Thanks all -

I spoke to Openmind Hosting and i'm allowed 2 additional domains on my hosting package :up: so all sorted thanks.

YDR

yoodooright said:
Thanks all -

I spoke to Openmind Hosting and i'm allowed 2 additional domains on my hosting package :up: so all sorted thanks.

YDR

yoodooright said:
I have two domain names registered for two seperate business outlets (one a personal design portfolio, another for a band website)

You do realise though that both domain names will point to the same root directory right? So if you type in www.businessoutlet.com or you type in www.myband.com that the same index page will load. That was the solution presented. Not whether your allowed multiple domain names on your account or not.

Only if the domain is a parked domain :)

If the OP adds the domain as an add-on domain it does indeed create a sub-directory for the files but it's kept tidy by separating off DNS/email etc.

It also means that they can control both sites with the one login which is a bonus...

openmind said:
Only if the domain is a parked domain :)

If the OP adds the domain as an add-on domain it does indeed create a sub-directory for the files but it's kept tidy by separating off DNS/email etc.

It also means that they can control both sites with the one login which is a bonus...

OooooO excellent. You can map domains to sub directories with OM. Thn you are sorted :up:

Will keep that in mind :) as the space and bandwidth is easily enough for 2-3 small/medium sites.

Yep there is a number of ways, the addon domains maps the domain to a sub-folder, you can also add unlimited parked domains and either map them to a root domain or a sub-folder within another domain or even an individual file.

With the reseller accounts you can take it one step further and create user accounts so your customers could login to cPanel (branded with your logo natch) to manage their domain :)

Back