tumblr theme headache. please help!!

Tash

hi chaps i'm desperately trying to find out how I can sort my tumblr out - it is doing my head in. I know some basic html and css and managed to edit a theme to make it look vaguely how I want but there are a few bits i'm stuck on - such as how to make the image on the permalink page (i'm assuming i'm looking at the right thing here - the one where you click a thumnail and it takes you to the bigger version?) bigger, and how to make all the thumbnails on the main page look the same. I had a friend of mine over a week or so ago who is a web designer and she couldn't really make heads or tails of it as tumblr apparently works totally differently from normal websites. There's not really much information out there about tumblr themes with more than one column aimed at those of us who aren't already fluent in html/css.
I've tried changing the obvious things but I'm pretty sure either I'm missing something or the theme is squiffy.
Failing that, if there is anyone out there who could help me customise the James theme 'liberation' to make all the images the same size so they are uniform boxes (i.e.250px wide and 150px tall) on the thumbnail page that would be AMAZING. the whole 'if two columns/if three columns' thing is making me go crosseyed just looking at it. I'm not very savvy about how this all is put together like where div tags come into the picture and all that malarkey. Have been trying to teach myself html/css to do this and staring at this code for 3 weeks now and getting nowhere except frustrationland.
Thanks in advance!

cheers love - it's currently www.natashapage.com but I'm going to shift it over to the behance ProSite - Tumblr is great but also a pain in the bum for updating for example - photography and try and group things together figuring out the timestamp etc. I'm keeping it for my blog though, but if you're able to explain in total idiot terms how the thing works it would be amazing! some templates use
.posts
#posts
like four or five different types of coding in the one document - it's just a nightmare! basic css and html i can cope with.

cheers love - it's currently www.natashapage.com but I'm going to shift it over to the behance ProSite - Tumblr is great but also a pain in the bum for updating for example - photography and try and group things together figuring out the timestamp etc. I'm keeping it for my blog though, but if you're able to explain in total idiot terms how the thing works it would be amazing! some templates use
.posts
#posts
like four or five different types of coding in the one document - it's just a nightmare! basic css and html i can cope with.

In CSS, anything preceded by a fullstop is referencing a class, where as something preceded by a hashtag refers to a specific element that has been given an ID. You can have multiple classes on a page, but only one element with a specific ID. Your #posts div will be a large div that contains the actual posts, where as the .posts classes will likely be the multiple thumbnails that link to your individual posts.

I hope that made sense. It might be worth giving this a quick read - The Difference Between ID and Class | CSS-Tricks

Back