Treehouse

Jordan

I have been looking at teamtreehouse.com as a learning resource to learn new technology and also progress with skills. I have used Lynda.com before and found that to be really good. Just wanted to know if anyone else has used this company or has any other recommendations for learning new things with a bit of structure.

Codecademy is quite good. I've used a few of the free Treehouse videos. They were really good. Is their premium service expensive?

Its around $25 a month about the same as Lynda. You can pay a little more so you can download source files etc,

That's pretty cheap. Like I say, I've been using Codecademy to learn bits of backend coding for things. It's nice and easy to make your way through it and feel like you're taking it all in!

I've not used Lynda.com before but i think I will definitely subscribe to the treehouse site once I feel I've exhausted the free stuff (codeacdemy etc).
The content seems to be fresh and relevant - i think they're about to start an Illustrator series which I will find invaluable. I've also noticed Udacity being referenced, but overall I think Treehouse is the way to go ultimately.

I am going to sign up for it, give me a goal and some set boundries because at the min I am all over place with code, start something and then never finish it. At least with that it gives some guidlines.
Been using codeacademy too, that seems pretty good I like to have videos me tho and watch and learn opposed to reading and learning.

Codeacademy is quite slow on older laptops and things too! Might get myself signed up to Treehouse.

I started using Codeacademy and managed to get through about half of the Javascript course in a day.
Problem is, about a week or so later, I totally forgot most of what I learned, and I didn't feel like going through all of it again.
I've had a peruse at this Team Treehouse lark and it does look really interesting. Might sign up for it and get into it.
Another possibility is signing up for video training at Udemy. I recommend that site to everyone here (although every time I say their name I always think about saying 'YOU DA MAN!')

I think Codecademy is good. Just went over all the basic HTML/CSS stuff, so haven't forgotten any of it, but, I've known it for ages too!

Going to try and crack something like JS or PHP next.

I have started leanring PHP from developer at work, what I found doing it tho that it was no use for me at the minute, don't get me wrong it is useful but for building front end functionality I thought I would be better learning Jquery. What I would recommend is leanring to understand PHP for now and learn a front end Language that can help you out with making a website look good, then move onto PHP back end stuff later.

I'm the opposite on that one - I'm looking to crack PHP before work on the aesthetics with Javascript and such. Form/Funtion and all that. Possibilities with PHP are amazing from what I've seen so far - hooking a contact form up is my first big task.

It depends on what your goals are really, my goal is to build functional websites that looks nice and be proficiant front end developer. I find learning PHP kills me, its more like maths than art. I know how to build forms and edit PHP to do what I want etc.

I want to build websites that work and look handsome. I can't work PHP at all at the minute.

Hahaha, honestly, my web skills aren't up to much. Got a lot of the basic HTML/CSS down but when it comes to CMS implementation and PHP, I'm not there yet haha.

There is a lot to take in some people are just built for that type of thing, The developer I work with know every language pretty much. Says once you understand one its easy to pick up others.
I just stare at the screen with a vacant look on my face when he is messing about with systems.
My view on computer programming is like a big all of string thats in knotts and trying to work out how its all going to work and be undone if that makes sense haha :blink:

I learnt a great deal of PHP some years ago, even built my own forum software (VERRRRRRRRRY basic but I was fiercely proud of it at the time) but it's all changed direction now and I don't know my arse from my elbow. I've let the languages go far ahead so will be looking at some courses to un-learn what I already have stuck in my head!
To add to the questions/links, has anyone ever tried the Tuts+ premium?

Always thought about doing the TreeHouse Ruby on Rails course.. but I don't know if I have time at the moment :)

Back