Treehouse

martyvibe said:
Wow they've certainly changed since the last time I went on there. It was all scattered and littered with random tutorials with no real organisation, so glad to see it's changed. Loads of new courses and ebooks for just around £13 a month or so...tempting!
Yeah, I've followed the progress of the site(s) for a while now, some of their free stuff is well written

Hmm I've just come across another site called Learnable.com which is really making me think about which provider of courses and tutorials to go for. Pricing round about the same as Tuts Premium and a whole host of different courses, books and tutorials to choose from.

Team Treehouse
Tuts Premium
Learnable
Udemy

This may need to be another thread in itself! In the words of Homer Simpson DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

I use codecademy mostly, but Treehouse is certainty worth looking in to, anything that Chris Coyier recommends is good with me!

Chris Coyier is great. CSS-Tricks is a brilliant site. It should be updated every minute of the day!

I joined Treehouse just yesterday actually, I've been looking at it for a while and was intrigued so did a few 'free' lessons and decided to join up. I'll let you know if I actually find it useful. It should be though, most people I've spoke to rated it quite high.
I guess it depends what style you learn best by. I learn by show and tell, not reading, so this is ideal for me. I also wanted to be able to bring all my new learning into one place. Obviously I still Google ;) but it's nice being able to jump from PHP to Ruby on Rails without leaving the site and searching somewhere else.

What are the prices like Jonna? I've always wanted to join up too!

Well, so far I've done the first Website section 'Build a Simple Website', glad to say that all went well :p
I paid for the $25/month option, as the $49 had some 'extras' I wasn't really bothered about. That works out at around £16/month, which isn't too bad. I mean there are some great designers and developers on there, so it's nice to know you're learning from the best. I guess I'll just see how I get along with it. I don't plan to use it loooong term, just so I can get through as many tutorials as possible, and expand on that in my own time.

Treehouse is pretty cool specially because it has loads of relevant courses.
I took some courses on front end, php, wordpress and it gave me a good grasp of the basics.
They also have node and angular courses.

It's interesting that now I can pursuit some web-based projects on my own.
But it's not equivalent to a proper Computer Science or Engineering education.

Back